Coralville upper end is open

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went over to Curtis Bridge ramp of Coralville yesterday and the current was raging. Still lots of ice there and around the bend at Mid-River Marina ramp.
    Then, in less than 24 hours, the ice cleared out of the upper end. My friend called me today and it's open water as far as he could see up and down from Mid-River. I'm getting the boat out this weekend!

Mike.

2. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Mike, maybe i see ya up there saturday. keep an eye out for me with my camo flatbottom. i might take rod holder thing out for still fishing.... say hello if ya see me. gots me plenty o shad guts!

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    by the way, thanks for lettin us know it is open water there. our delievery driver said it was open as he drove up 380. Nice to hear from someone else so i dont drive there only to find it unfishable.

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The water is up to 683' from the normal winter/spring pool of 679. They're letting water out as fast as it's coming in however. When the water starts climbing above 683, it can be hard to back a boat in far enough to launch without a 4WD (that's because the water rises up to where the ramp angle is much shallower). You should be able to launch from Mid-River Marina's ramp. Beware that there may be some underwater surprises at either ramp but especially Mid-River...back in slow and back boat off easy.

Might see you this weekend if the weather's decent.

5. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good luck to y'all this weekend. Hope you get into some good ones.

6. ROOK

ROOK New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello all. I just stumbled acrossed this sight by accident. Fortunate for me!:smile2: Just trying to get info on catfishing. Wanting to find anything from rigging my boat to general ideas of the best ways to getting that monster cat. Well i seemed to have found the motherload of catfishing info!!! This sight is awesome!:big_smile: I mainly fish the wapsi. Tomarrow my buddy and i are going to coralville lake. Probably put in at Mid-River Marina's ramp. Passed over 380 a few times today and seen a few boats out. Good luck fishing to you all!! Until next time....

7. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The current is absolutely raging above right now. Might wanna stay off the channel a bit.

One could also fish down by Mehaffee. I hear it's opened up too. I don't believe you can get all the way up and down between Mid-River and Mehaffee but I'm not sure. I know it was still pretty locked up down closer to the dam.

8. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i went up there saturday and had a good day,but the fishing was slow. i fished west of the bridges .... we got 6 fish in 4 hours. ugh... i think most guys out there were having a hard time though. very small bites and the fish landed were nothing special. Had a first though. my buddy got a bite .. about 10 seconds later my pole was hit hard.. i reeled it in .. the fish had my hook in the lip and my buddies bait and hook were so deep in the fishes throat!.. i have never seen that. i have seen 2 fish caught on one lure in the same cast (smallmouth) but this was cool. too bad all the fish werent feeding like that one. the weather never got warmer than about 42.. maybe that is why it was a little slow and no wind at all. deciding where to fish out there was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

9. bry1990

bry1990 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Rook and I were out there same day I had best luck with bobber floating shad fillet just off bottom. The hits were slow and soft but it was a great day to be fishing!