Coralville, Sept. 3

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It's been a while since I've posted. That's because my van was in getting the brakes fixed so I actually went nearly 9 days without fishing. My wife found me curled up in the closet sweating and groaning just like those heroin addicts on TV.

I finally made it out Wednesday evening and went again yesterday evening.
    Wednesday, I took a friend out with his daughter as her birthday present. The little girl caught 6 nice ones and her Dad had to reel one in during a little flurry we had to make 7 total. It took a bit for us to get into them but she caught some nice fish averaging 4+ with a big of 6 lbs. We caught them all within 1 hr.

Yesterday, I took my young nephew with me to Coralville. We fished from a little after 5 PM to a little before 8 PM and caught 14 or 15 nice fish. We couldn't catch a little one. The majority were 5 lbs + with a big of 7.5 lbs. and I'm certain we averaged 5 lbs or more. I heard other guys did well over the weekend anchor fishing with crawdads.

I'm going out again today if I can get a break in the weather!

Mike.

2. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey mike sounds like you had a good time, a friend of mine and i went last night got out there about the time you left. we caught 18 from 8:00 pm to 12:00pm, are biggist was 8.5. we would have stayed longer but the fog rolled in could not see a thing, took us 1/2 hour just to get back to the boat ramp should have took us 10 minutes.

clayton

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    tuesday i gotta head to c.Rapids for work.. was thinking of pulling my boat up in the morning, then fishing in the late afternoon... would it be ok to leave my boat ya think at the ramp for the day till i get back in late pm?

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton...get a gps. Even a hand held would help. Of course, even with a GPS, I reckon a guy wouldn't want to go too fast. Of course, if I had food and water, I'd probably just use the fog as an excuse to fish all night!

Dave, I don't think I'd leave a boat there all day. How late are you wanting to fish? Tuesday is, of course, tomorrow so you might not read this before then.

5. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    had a gps, guess what the damn batterys went dead. would not have matter i did not track to my spot, i only tracked when i was trolling.

6. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow, Clayton, you have a heck of a time with batteries.

7. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Yeah, i kinda thinkin that. probably gonna drive by somewhere up there and get some easy bait... freakin ridiculous how easy it is yup there vs around here on the mississippi! I been having a slow going around here on the river though recently.. ... WOnder if it has anything to do with commercial nets all over the areas i fish.. probably to an extent. (just looking for excuses ha ha)

8. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I could see commercial fishing nets changing fish movements and feeding patterns.

9. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    ended up throwin my cast net from shore on coralvill and got enough to take home for the evening. only fished for 2 hours back home.. had 3 good hits that didnt hook up (was using kahles on those 2 poles.) had another pole with a 8/0 circle and landed a 6# fish on that... had lots of trouble on snags this time... no bites in 15 foot range all action in 19-23 feet.

always fun, hope we can continue a long indian summer.. i am not ready for it to be huntin weather yet! need more time cattin... can be a long winter!