Coralville Reservoir 8-2-06

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by primitive, Aug 2, 2006.

1. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I have never been a good or lucky fisherman but Tuesday evening I decided to try the resivour. Left CR at 6 PM, put my boat in at the ramp by 380. Went under the bridges and theres like a thousand acres of water. I anchored near shore and cast out 4 poles, 1 with worms, 1 with shrimp, and 2 with shad guts. One minute later, all four poles were bent in 3 different directions. I had not been there four minutes and I had four nice chanel cats flopping around in the boat. Within the first hour I had a limit(8) 2 -3# and had released 4 or 5 smaller ones. I have never had an hour of fishing like that. Most were caught on circle hooks, and lip hooked. All had a gut full of crawfish. There was suposed to be a storm coming, maybe that helped. I used several things that I've learned from the B.O.C., such as, circle hooks, hook setting with circles, baits, equipment, etc. THANKS Brothers for a great evening of catfishing.

primitive :big_smile:

2. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ron, good for you!

I have another friend who fishes almost exclusively with crawdads and he catches tons of fish in the upper reservoir. The next thing you need to do is get a cast net. If you go just under the 380 bridges and go to the shallows on the south side near the bridge, you can get all the hook size shad you need for a night in one throw.

By the way, Coralville is considered a river as far as catch limits are concerned, so your limit is 15 cats.

The wind has been blowing all night. Man, I wish I could be out there this morning!

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Thanks for the info mike. It would probably look like a Elmer Fud cartoon, me and a cast net. Who knows, might happen. prim

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ron,

When fish are biting well, you could put a turd on a hook and catch fish. When it gets a little tougher fishing, you'll catch tons more fish on fresh bait. Crawdads or fresh shad in the reservoir are pretty hard to beat most times. The fact is, if I can't get fresh bait, I don't fish. I'll give you another tidbit. Fishing with guts only will get you a lot of peckerhead bites and small fish. I've been putting 4-5 little whole shad on an 8/0 hook and doing real well. If I get the 6-8 inch shad, I cut the tail off, then cut the remainder in half and hook both pieces on. You'll nearly always catch bigger fish. Get yourself a net, spend the 10 minutes or so it takes to get a basic throw down, then double or triple your fish take with fresh bait!

Mike.