Coralville report

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Went drifting in Coralville Res on Sunday. Caught 10-12 (I kinda lost count) channels 3-6 lbs between 8:30 and noon. Then the wind died down and the bite with it. Got off the lake before the storms came in.

Last night, a buddy called me and he caught 12-13 nice channels drifting. He also was starting to catch bigger ones, which I hope means that some are starting to come off spawn. Still catching big-headed males, but we both noticed that their color was lightening up a little on the ones we caught. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, the 10+ lbers will start hitting.

Mike.

2. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for the report mike, iam hoping to get down there in a few weeks. fish a tournament on the missippi last sunday and took second place caught 8 for 45 pounds winning team had 10 for 60 pounds. missed big fish by 1oz. how was the fishing at red rock.

clayton

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I may ask, what is the drift procedure you are using for these cats?

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton, good job in the tournament! I'm a little goosey about fishing the Mississippi. I'll have to get brave and give it a whirl sometime. I assume you were drifting? Were you using the trolling motor or drifting across current?

Red Rock was a fun trip. We didn't catch a lot of fish, but the ones we caught bit hard. Nothing over 7 lbs or under 3. Red Rock is about 10 times wider than Coralville and has about 1/10 as many pleasure craft. It's a reall pleasure to fish there!

Tom, the best way to learn drifting is to hook up with a guide named Steve Brown down at Warsaw, Mo. It's worth the trip and the money! You can find him at catfishsafari.com. It's actually pretty easy. Get a good drift sock. Use 30 lb braid. Use a 2 ft, 50 lb leader with a float about 6 inches from the hook (I use 8/0 The Ultimate Circle Hook or a Gami Octopus). Let out a lot of line. Pray for wind. Hang on.

I've discovered that the trolling motor will work after the wind dies down. It will work on days without wind, but it ain't as good and it's not as relaxing.
    I also discovered that you may need to vary your drift speed. Tuesday night, I was trolling in my boat with my son and grandson. My buddy was trolling in his boat with his wife. He was kicking our arse and I discovered that his wife wanted to "go faster". Since our rigs and bait were identical, I decided to "go faster" and started catching fish. According to my GPS, I went from .3-.5 mph to .6-.8 mph. I'm still learning, but it's an absolute blast and I don't even have my back anchor in the boat anymore.

Mike.

5. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cripes Mike, if you can fish Coralville with all the nuts and wackos zipping around all day, the Mississippi should be a piece of cake:lol: Sure the traffic on my part of the Mississippi can get pretty heavy on weekends but nothing like what I saw on the Coralville yeasterday ... man, you have feel like you've been in an all day wrestling match with Hulk Hogan to bob around in that for a couple of hours

Do you ever fish below the dam? Thinking of hitting it this weekendand pull in a couple of lunker Flatties... Pool 16 is so low I can't even get out of Credit Island slough (Davenport) or use the boat ramp on Credit island which means fishing is pretty much over for me locally for a while, maybe until late September when the river usually goes back up .... 4.6 foot at the tail, we usually don't see that until late August, if at all ... The Corps is up to something this year but I'll be damned if I can find out why they intentionally dropped it nearly 3 feet below normal in a year with plenty of rainfall but no threat of late flooding

6. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Coralville is a mess most weekend days for sure. It just isn't big enough to support all those huge "live-in" boats. I haven't fished below the dam in a long, long time. Fishing is just so darn good above the dam.

I posted my best thoughs on drifting on the other thread here in iowa lakes and reservoirs. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20439

Saturday, we tried drifing with crawdads and frogs. Did best pulling through 4'. When we found the right area, the crawdads and frogs both got hammered pretty good. Ended up with 11 nice fish.

Went again Sunday morning after a friend told me they were biting well...he had just caught a 9 lber. I rushed over in time for them to quit biting. I fished for several hours and ended up with 7 or 8 fish which is better than a kick in the head.