Coralville Lake 4/15/07

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well, I finally went fishing on Coralville for the first time Sunday. The weather and my schedule has kind of put a crimp on my fishing. It was a nice day to be out on the water and there were a fair number of boats out for a shakedown cruise.

We ended up only catching 3 channels, a 2, 3, and a 4 lber. Had several hookups that came unhooked. They're not quite as aggressive as I'd like to see, but it's early. There was a tremendous shad kill (DNR fisheries man told a buddy of mine that the shad kill was probably over 75%). I think the cats have been pigging out on the dead shad which might explain the slow bite. Also, the water is still pretty darn cold. We were trolling above and just below Mehaffee bridge boat ramp with water temps at about 48 degrees. There's a chance that folks upstream anchoring in the shallows could have done pretty well.

A word of warning...the channel is completely silted in at Jolly Roger. I haven't tried to navigate it myself, but a couple of experienced catters I know have told me that they couldn't find anything over 1.5'. So, if you're trying to get above Jolly Roger, you might as well put in at Mid-River or Curtis Bridge. I assume there will be the annual sacrifice to the mud gods. Usually, some unfortunate and inexperienced boater will charge headlong into the mud where their boat will remain until the water rises later in May.

I think the Corps may have to rethink their 679' spring water level. It's remarkable how fast the upper end is silting in. It wasn't that long ago that you could navigate the river channel all the way through the reservoir and upstream as far as you had gas to take you.

At any rate, I think the warm weather this coming week combined with the end of the shad kill feast might turn things on. Just remember to bring your bait with you because it'll be slim pickings for shad until a few hatch cycles. I'm hoping that might mean that if you're fortunate enough to have a fresh shad source, you might find some Coralville cats that are starving for a taste of their favorite meal.

See you on the water.

Mike.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank's for the report Mike! The Crappie fishing turned on yesterdy at lake Manawa in the afternoon in this end of the State,also Desoto Bend oppened up for the season but haven't heard how anyone did. J.D.

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Thanx for the report, there. I was really holding my breath to read how ya did. I fished sat for about one hour and sunday for about 1 hour and got about 3 bites. Tried shallow about 1 to 10 feet and just not there like they had been. Definitely gonna blame the past weather and the 46 temp of the miss this weekend and the still near flood stage of the water. I confess, i went carp fishing for a while instead and had an absolute riot! got about an 8# fish on 6 lb line and felt like a ten year old for a little while again.

maybe the lack of shad on coralville will make you realize how frustrating it is for me around here.. wink wink. Have a good day.

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well, Dave, while it's hard to get them in the lake, I got a five gallon bucket full on two throws at my bait gettin hole.

To add to the report...My buddy went fishing on Monday (he has his own business and fishes during the week...makes me sick). He boated 30+ and kept his limit with two 8 lbers for bigs. He was fishing the same waters, same bait and was trolling as I was. I just missed it buy a day! Another fisherman did well anchor fishing upriver above Jolly Roger. Anyway, that got me pretty excited. I can't wait to get back out there. Hope the weather stays sane.

5. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Just got an order i placed on catfishconnection.com (great place!) Spent $196.00 ugh. and i got an In Fisherman video cause it was on sale .. first location was , yep, Coralville with Al Lindner and another guy from C.R. i forget his name. They were drifting in the main lake in 39degree water and gettin a few. Was fun to watch.

Gets the blood flowing and i might head up there or Odessa bright and early saturday. Should i get bait elsewhere before puttin the boat in at coralville? Seems to me even with a shad kill of 78% instead of getting 20 fish every cast, you might catch 5. That wont take long to get enough for the day.?

6. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave, sorry I didn't see your post before the weekend. I hope you got shad on the way, because you more than likely won't get bait right in Coralville. I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 of what I would call "bait clouds" on my graph in 5 trips. Until the first hatch, you ain't gonna get shad in Coralville unless you're damn lucky.