Coralville, July 29

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Took the new auto pilot trolling motor out on Coralville this morning. My wife's uncle and I caught 17 nice channels with a big of 6+ lbs.

The auto pilot makes trolling so much less stressful. Just point it and go. I can even do things like tie hooks and sinkers up while trolling...which was about impossible before.

We had bait in the water by 5 am and caught 9 channels on our first troll. By 8 am it was hot. By 10, it was unbearable and we gave up. The surface temp was 87 degrees by then. I think the fish were pretty much broiled as they quit biting as well.

I don't know if I'm going to try in the morning or not.

Mike.

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Mike, I just wanted to say thanks for giving out information about your successful drifting methods. I think, If all these top fishermen would share more secrets that they have learned, it would really be appreciated. I know most learned these things the hard way but most of us are here to learn and a few tidbits may make our few trips more enjoyable. At my age, I should know everything, but I forgot most of it. Thanks, primitive

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ron, welcome to BOC. It's my pleasure to share since people have so graciously shared with me.

Catfishing is one of the greatest sports there is. I want more people to know how much fun it can be! To tell the truth, I only started drifting and trolling in the last year. I actually took my back anchor out and only keep the front anchor in for safety reasons. I'm catching so many fish and having so much fun that it's hard to remember what it was like to sit for an hour with only a bite or two. Don't get me wrong...I've caught a ton of fish with my anchors out but I don't believe I've ever had so much fun fishing. The other night I pulled into the boat ramp and chatted with two young fellows who had 1 cat and one carp. I launched, caught 3 nice cats and was back on the boat trailer in less than an hour. They asked if I was using stink bait...and if you turned around and looked at the water, there were literally hundreds of shad jumping around. I ended up showing them exactly what I was doing to catch fish. I only asked them to turn em loose, don't catch them all and to not come down and kick my a$$ in a tournament with their new techniques. The fact is, I just hate to see people work that hard at fishing and not have success.

Anyways, it was too blasted hot for me to go out again today. Maybe later in the week one evening.

later all, mike.