Coralville, July 14th

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bet some of you folks thought I died or something. It's been such a busy year what with a son getting married, watching a grandbaby for a week, a broken down boat, blah blah blah. Anyway, I went fishing for the first time in, I believe, 6 weeks. Only trolled for a few hours between mid-river marina and the 965 bridge. We caught 4 channels between 3 and 6 lbs. Not great but better than a kick in the head.

For those who might be interested, I've been getting regular reports of nice 8-13 lbs channels being taken out of MacBride lake by drifters/trollers. Of even more interest to me is a friend mentioned to me that he caught a 10 and an 8 lber on leopard frogs. I absolutely love fishing with leopard frogs when the channels start hitting on them. It's a wonderful bait and sometimes I can catch 3 fish on one frog.

That's all for now. I think I'll head to MacBride after a while here.

p.s. For those who don't know, MacBride is restricted to 9.9 or less. I don't have a kicker motor so I'll be using my trolling motor only and staying close to the dock.

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Fact is, I've been wondering where you've been. Always good to get a few tidbits from the local experts once in a while. Love Lake McBride but have a lot of trouble catching catfish on that lake. Ussually a big one when I do. Got the week off so, LOOK OUT FISH! primitive

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My better half is also a big leporad frog fan. She sews them on her hook and look out!! We have two cats that are good frog catchers but like to scratch you when you take away their toy!!

4. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats exactly why I like frogs. You don't have to keep baiting the darn hook! And they are fun to catch! The cats aren't to good with the frogs. Tried to take a frog away from the cat last night and he helped the frog get away!!:embarassed: Was looking forward to sewing him on my hook and going after a big old cat tonight. Plus he scratched me... grrr.

OOPs.. new to this forum... but looks really interesting. I have been cat fishing most of my life on Iowa Rivers. Mostly on the Iowa River, Skunk River, English River, and the Cedar River. I do believe in catch and release if you aren't going to eat what you catch. But I have to say, some nice cat fish nuggets deep fried are pretty tasty. Especially this time of year with some fresh tomatoes and sweet corn out of the garden!! Happy Fishing everyone. Going after the monster!!