Coralville Catfishing in Iowa

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lots of boats on Coralville Lake yesterday. I went out and caught a couple. I probably could have caught more, but both boats had dead batteries so I had to do some briggling around getting a boat to run. Ran into a guy who caught 20 with a big of 7 lbs.

I experimented with a little drift fishing. I've never tried it this early. I got a few bites, but no hammers. Interestingly, though, I didn't get that many bites still fishing either so they were probably just slowing down for the day. Plus, I had to leave my motor running since I had to jumpstart my dead crank battery. It is possible to catch a fish while anchored with your boat motor running:)

I have some time off next week, but it looks like the weather is going to be really crappy.

Mike.

2. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hey Mike.

I'm new to fishing Coralville and was wondering if there was a better part to fish this time of year. Also, do you flathead fish there at all? I'm from the Cedar Rapids area.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The upper end has been good with fresh shad. Guys using frozen have struggled a little. They've been pretty much in the channel below the 380 bridges. I haven't fished above the bridges this year. There are always like 8 zillion boats up there this time of year. The corps has the water level down to 679 whichs make pretty much the whole upper end a sea of mud with 3 inches of water over it. If you're not familiar with the channel, don't go fast!. If you're coming from C.R., It might be best to put in at Sandy Beach. Just be aware that your launching into a very shallow water area. I think you can still get a boat in there. I haven't fish much of the lower end below Mehaffee, but I plan to soon. I don't flathead fish much because, in general, I don't have the patience for it:) .

Mike.

4. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get out and wet a line.

5. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey josh, i was one of those zillon boats up by the 380 bridge yesturday and we caught 30 channels on shad guts, it is a very good place to fish right after ice out and as mike said it can be a bear to get up there in a boat. i had a friend fish off the bank there and did just as good as we did. will be going back out tomarrow, i will be going thurdays moring also if it is not rainning. if you would like to hook up send me a email, i will be out there this weekend also. i live in cedar rapids also.

clayton huff

6. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thanks for the info Clayton. If fishing the bank, is it best to fish directly under the bridge or fish off to one of the sides. I noticed the current is pretty fast under the bridge in the channel. I'm not sure if I'm in the correct spot or not, but I just took 965 then followed a sign that said boat launch or something like that. Anyways, it took me to a very shallow boat launch area close to the 380 and 965 bridge. Off to the left, once you pull in, is the 380 bridge, down from there is the 965 bridge. Should I be fishing right next to the bridge or go to the right and fish the bank towards the channel. I see where there have been trucks that have driven down the bank to fish there. I may take you up on that offer sometime soon if you don't mind.

7. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That boat ramp is Curtiss Bridge ramp. Some call it Sunken Bridge. If you walk down the bank to the right (east), that is what I've always heard called the quarry. There's reasonable deep water there and not too bad a place to bank fish.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do they catch a lot of flatheads in that area? I'm looking to take a buddy of mine to hopefully catch his first flathead while I'm back home of vacation. Knowing that flathead fishing is like waiting for death sometimes, only slower, I'm trying to locate spots that will hopefully get us into some flatties in less than a weeks time.

9. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When are you back on vacation? I know folks catch them below the dam in the river. Also, the stretch of River running by City Park and down by Hancher Auditorium can be good flathead fishing at certain times of the year. I'm pretty sure that's during the warmer months though.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I generally make my trip back to the heartland in early June. Usually works out to be a good time to catch all sorts of other fish too. But this year I want to try something different, and get my buddy, who's really not fished much since I joined the military in '97 and moved away, back into fishing. It's hard to share fishing stories, when you're the only one with stories to tell.

11. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Went out to Coralville today and fished by Curtis bridge area. I caught my limit in a couple hours. Most were small pan fryers, no big ones. I was using Danny Kings. Great stuff! Thanks to those who recommeded the place to fish.

Josh

12. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Josh, glad to hear you got into them. I went for a little while yesterday afternoon and my partner and I caught 6 nice ones with a big of 7 lbs in about an hour. I'm sure we could have caught more, but we were too lazy to move the boat a few feet after they slowed down. The water temps had warmed up to 49 in spots from the low forties earlier in the week. This latest rain and warmer temps might get them moving out of the channel in spots.

If the price of gas goes any higher, I might have to buy a rowboat I can pull to the river with a bicycle.

13. ace5248

ace5248 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    mike, you do a lot of fishing in coralville lake ,have you ever fished for cat at the back of the dam have heard there are the big ones there.

14. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If by "back of the dam" you mean above the dam in the lake, I have not...but I'm thinking about doing some experimenting there. I'm sure there are big fish there but also lots of boat traffic. I had some kids in a ski boat blast by within 20 feet of my boat a couple of weekends ago. Had my wife and 2 nephews with me. It was kind of scary because I wasn't sure they saw me. Lots of that crap to put up with the closer to the dam you get.