Coralville August 2

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AJG, Aug 3, 2008.

1. AJG

AJG New Member

State:
    iowa
    Went out Saturday morning caught 8 below Mid River Marina trolling with cut up sunfish. Had several more bites but could not get hooked. Does anyone have any advice on circle hooks to use ? I am currently using standard 4/0 J hooks.

Attached Files:

2. wreckingcrew

wreckingcrew New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just switched to Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks this year and I'll never go back to anything else. So far I've only used 6/0 and 8/0 sizes.

I caught a couple pan fish on the 8/0 hooks, so I probably won't get any smaller ones. I also caught the two biggest cats I've ever caught on them. Easiest hook ups ever. You don't even have to set the hook, the fish does it for you.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glad to hear you having some luck. Cut-up sunnies are pretty good bait though I seldom use them if I can find shad.

I use a 9-0 Frenzy call "The Ultimate Circle Hook" that I like pretty well. Other than that, the Gamakatsu 8-0 works well too but you have to snell them to make them work well because they have a bent back eye.

That's a real good area to fish. If you're needing bait, take a throw net over to the Macbride spillway where there is a ton of 3 inch shad for the taking. I think we could see some really good fishing in the coming weeks and months.

Mike.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a nice day on the water, congrats.