Coralville, aug 5

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sltrnsam, Aug 6, 2006.

1. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    went down to the coralville res saturday night and caught 14 from 8:00 oclock to 1:30. no fish was under 5 pounds, trolled and drifted around the 380 and 965 brigdes. had no problem getting shad for bait. thanks mike for the info.

clayton

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

fantastic, sounds like a great night of fishing.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton, no problem. Glad you finally got into them in Coralville. Did you get any over 8lbs?

I was away for the weekend and didn't get home till Sunday at 5PM. It was hot and I was tired so I didn't follow through on my plan to get a line wet last night.

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    yesterday, me, the wife and our baby came to iowa city to mess around. Of course i pulled the flatbottom.. we hiked around coralvill with the dog.. I did put the boat in by the 380 bridge. was too hot especially for the baby so we were only on the water for about 1 hour. (drove around most of the time to keep a breeze on the kid) Had a little fun catchin shad which are everywhere by the way. However i didnt find anything deeper than 8 foot east of the ramp and the marina to the southeast there. Is there a channel that goes through there? i didnt find anything.. surprised i didnt get pulled over as i was driving back and forth zig-zagged.
    was a good day though, as i had never ever been on that lake and didnt know where to start.. next trip up there is with my fishin buddy, not the wife and 9 month old>.

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave,

The channel doesn't get much deeper than that till you go downriver a mile or so. It's deep just under the bridges though.

6. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa

no mike, all where 5 to 7 pounds. still had a ball, next week iam going back and try using live bait. i never have tried trolling or drifting with live bait, might pick up a big flathead.

clayton

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Haven't fished Coralville Yet this year but I know there in there Clayton and You Sir have found them. Thats Great and thanks for the post. J.D.Straka :big_smile:

8. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For some reason, it seems that flatheads don't like the moving bait. I've tried a fair amount of live bait trolling. It works okay, but the bait comes off too easy. If you're going to drag a live shad, make sure it's a big one.