Coralville, Aug 3

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The wife and I only caught 10-12 this afternoon/evening. I must have gotten there in time for the bite to die. A friend cleaned 19 and tossed back 15 or more. My brother-in-law cleaned 15 nice ones. I guess my expectations have gotten a little high lately. Used the autopilot trolling motor again and I still get a little giddy at how neat it is. By the way, all the boats above were drifing or trolling.

Mike.

2. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey mike about what area are you drifting and where are you locating any shad. iam heading down there this weekend, sure will be nice to do some drifting for a change.

clayton

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Clayton,

Well, I guess I was drifting in all the wrong spots given that everybody else outfished me! Seriously though, I was drifting in the Jolly Roger area. There was a good wind blowing from the north. I had been catching most of the fish on earlier trips in 4-6 feet near the channel. I spent too much time drifting the wrong end (north) of the lake but it was such a nice day I was too lazy to move much. Also, I've found that, even though the effect is slight, moving with the current doesn't work as well as moving upstream. I probably could have caught more at the south end of the Jolly Roger stretch. Other than that, I've been trolling just off the channel between Jolly Roger and Curtis Bridge.

You can get shad just about anywhere but I've had the best luck just above the 380 bridges (the first set of bridges as you head upstream) in the shallows. This year's shad are a little bigger upriver than they are downstream. It makes a big difference as to how well they stay on your hook though I'm not certain it makes a big difference in fish catch. I prefer the 6-8" shad cut in half but I'm having a devil of a time finding them now...all I can get are the hook size. With the bigger shad, you don't have to check your bait as often and you tend to catch bigger fish in my experience this year. There is no shad head too big. You may drag it for a long time with little peckerhead bites but I gaurantee you that if you leave a big shad head on, you'll catch 4 lb and up. I caught an 11 lber two weekends ago. For some reason, the big cats love those big shad heads. If I had access to crawdads, I'd use those too. A friend of mine anchor fishes exclusively with crawdads and often outfishes me trolling with shad. To be honest, though, I haven't proven to my satisfaction that trolling with crawdads beats fresh shad. We'd have to do some kind of double blind scientific experiment to prove which is better and who has time??? They're both good. For all you folks who can't get your own fresh shad and are buying bait, buying crawdads, minnows or nightcrawlers is a way better investment than buying frozen shad. At least for Coralville Res. Don't even talk to me about stink bait. I can't stand taking little bitty fish off my hook.

The last tidbit I'll reluctantly share is that you have to move. Even with a nice wind yesterday, I wasn't moving fast enough and had to add the trolling motor to get moving fast enough. You can seriously go from no bites to hammer city by kicking up your speed a little. If you have a GPS, you'll want your speed to be between .40 and .60 mph. If you don't have a GPS, imagine a really fat lady walking up a steep hill...go about that fast. Mind you, this is summer with very warm surface water. The cats are moving much faster and biting pretty aggressively. Earlier or later in the year, this speed might not be good.

I usually am a little more selfish about how I catch fish, but there's something about BOC that brings out the brotherly love. I want all you guys to catch lots of fish. I don't want Clayton to come down and kick my a$$ in our Coralville tournaments which he will certainly do soon enough because all that guy does is fish! Enough for now...gotta go make a living.

Mike.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Tuesday eve. I made my first trip to the res by the 380 bridges, Had good luck, never saw another boat the whole time. Wed. mid afternoon till 6:30 I never saw another boat, had good luck. I stopped around then and two boats went by but I'll bet that weekends the boat traffic is madning. Back to work for a week but I'll probably get back there next Tue. or Wed.
    In July I was just sort of figuring out how to catch chanel cats at Prarie Creek Lake north of Palo. Did pretty well, with the biggest of nine pound. During my tuesdays and wednesday there Hardly no boats on that lake either. The water is a lot more clear there. Takeing my soninlaw there Saturday, hope we won't be disapointed.
    Mike, I have wondered why you haven't gotten the flathead fever at the res. There must be some huge flats out there, only where? I don't have the heavy equipment to try them, but maybe later. primitive