Copper Head Snake

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Mac-b, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    In the Spring of 2006 I went down to my boat at 5:30 AM to get everything ready for a guide trip. I turned my bow and stern lights on and was placing my rod and reels in their upright holders. The day before I had caught some bream/gills for bait and had put them in my livewell so they would not kill my shad in the bait tank. To keep them alive I had place an air hose in the livewell and placed a .25 inch stick between under the lid to keep it from shutting off the air hose. As I raise the lid to get the air hose out, all ^%$# breaks loose and I heard a trashing sound in the livewell. I jumped back and a copper head sticks his head out with a bream in his mouth. I grab my big landing net and take a swat at it and that just makes it mad. I jump up on my console seat and the snake runs towards the front of the boat and gets between the front part of the console and my bait tank. I use the net again and it then moves to the back of the boat behind the livewell.

With all that excitement, mother nature tells me that I have to go back up the hill to the house and use the bathroom. Best movement I have had in I don't know when.

Fifteen or so minutes later I am back down to the boat and I use my flash light to check behind the livewell and bigle area looking for the snake and do not see him. What a relief! I go and pick up my party a few minutes late and told them what had happened. Everybody was glad that the snake had left the boat.

That night aroung 7 PM I get a call at home from one of my bass buddies who was in a night time bass tournament and he is on his cell and said "Mac, you would not believe what we just saw come out of the back of your boat". You guessed it, it was the copper head.

So, I guess the moral to this story is, if you don't bother them, they ain't going to bother you.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I might have crapped my pants, but I would not have left that first time without that sake being dead. You guys had more that luck on your side.:crazy:

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i have a jon boat i leave leaning up against the shed and the copper heads love getting under there. they scare the &*$% out of me everytime, but youre right, if you leave them alone, theyll leave you alone

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Copperheads are not as agressive as other posionous snakes and their venom is not as strong. I have two friends bitten by small ones and they both had serious problems getting over it. One was bitten on the ring finger pulling grass around a post. The other was bitten with one fang on the big toe. She walked out on the patio with her coffee cup one morning it was next to some firewood on the edge of the patio. She was still having problems with her leg swelling several years later. I walked into my reloading room that was in a 10 X 20 portable building. I didn't turn the lights on as I reached to get what I was after I caught some movement from the corner of my eye. When I turned the lights on there was a small 9" long Copperhead coiled up on the metal vise on the corner of the table. He just watched my hand go buy and didn't bite.

5. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I had a hunting buddy die this year from a copper heads bite. He was clean up a brush pile and it got him in the face, chest, and arm. I had never thought of them being so dangerous till that happened. So I will pay alot more attention when around snake habitats.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yikes I never thought of them as being deadly, just making ya sick for awhile as long as you got treated. Now that Ive heard that I dont think any copperheads are going to live after we meet.

Ive had a few close encounters my self with what I believe to be copperheads. The hourglass pattern, cats eyes and trinagle head. Last year I was squirrel hunting and had one hanging on some branches right at face level. Had to shake that off before walking around him. Another one was when I was going to unlock the gate to go to our land. I dropped the keys and not 2-3 feet away was a coiled up copperhead hidden in some leaves. Ive never been so nervous and jittery trying to unlock that gate. Theyve always ignored me but its hard ignoring them.

On a side note the best "prank" I ever got anyone with was with snakes. The guy had honked the horn while I was checking something under the hood of my truck. Well we went fishing a little while later and I picked up an old piece of plywood to burn. Under it was the most black snakes Ive ever seen in my life. Im guessing 20 or more, big fat suckers too. Well I dropped it and I had a good idea. Payback time, I ask my buddy to go grab the piece of wood and he does. The little girl scream was great and I noticed he kept looking around everywhere the rest of the time we were up there. He doesnt pull pranks on me anymore.

7. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Snake new where to gat an easy meal, huh?

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Speaking of copper heads, my dad and I were coming home from town and driving down the road a mile or so from my house there was a copper head stretched from one side of roadto the other sunning itself. The gravel road was 2 cars wide, so this guy was BIG. my dad saw it was a copper head and ran it over with the truck. when we got out to inspect, the snake had a egg sack that popped out.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Now that makes for a heck of a story! im glad that no one was bitten!

10. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    My great uncle use to be a snake hunter in the hills of shawnee forest. He use to catch em alive and put them into an old coffee sack and put them in the bottom of a trash can and eat them later. Yes i said eat. Well my grandfather went out to feed the dogs one day out at my great uncles house and the dog food barrel was right beside the snake barrel my my grandfather put his hand right on a nice big ol timber rattler..Never bit him though. Moral of the story watch what you reach into.I work on my grandfather horse farm alot and i never ever open a barrel and reach in blindly. Always look. P.s If you smell cucumbers and not in a garden, Get away

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    We don't have that many copperhead around where i live, and i'm glad of that. Great story