copper and lead

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by CountryHart, Jul 5, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This may not be possible but can i go to the shooting range and pick up lead and use it for weights. I know some is copper jacketed and will that float off the lead like steel does when ya melt tire weights?

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am pretty sure that you can. There was a guy selling ingots on craigslist locally that said he made them from old bullets from the shooting range.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You can, but it a lot of work because of all the trash that is mixed in. (dirt, copper and steel)

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    In our area there is a lot of black powder clubs. Which used the round lead ball. I have picked up a mixture of lead at these ranges and re melted. I don't know about the copper floating off. Never tried that. Talk to some of the people that use the range they should be able to give you the info you need. A lot of them make their own bullets.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    John thats where my lead come from its the best lead iv ever worked with the copper does float right up just stir it a little after it melts and the lead will poor out and the copper comes up as far as the dirt thats in it no prob i used a cat pan sifter and sifted it and put the clean stuff in a seprat bucket its not that hard a work at all and well worth the efort the little bit of dirt you dont get out floats up to so you can skim it off to any more ? just give me a shout that is the lead me and JD. used at the gatherring ask JD. this stuff poures good too