Copan Lake Washington County

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rmoberly, Aug 26, 2009.

1. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Ok for a new comer to start a thread for Copan Lake? Haven't been any recent postings about it and I would like to follow reports on the lake.

Temperature Monday evening was reported to be 78 degrees.

Fished the bank West and north of the dam (Tuesday) last night. good sized bluegill and a small large mouth bass on minnows.

Thanks for all the great information in this forum.

2. Southern Woman

Southern Woman New Member

State:
    Texas
    :big_smile: Welcome Richard to BOC...it is a nice place to be. Now where is Lake Copen? We are on Fort Cobb Lake in S/W Oklahoma.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009

3. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O

Thanks for the welcome. Copan is in Washington County north of Tulsa in NE Oklahoma. Green Country or so it is called.

4. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Anybody know the current lake water condition? Temperature, murkiness?

5. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
  6. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    anybody know the current water temperature at Copan?

Water level is 711.02 which is right at Normal and no additional release at this time.

Thanks

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I was out there last weekend pulling kids on the tube...it was in the mid 70's.

Id imagine it's about the same the weather has been nice.

8. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Thanks Chris. I appreciate it.
    Rich

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    What is Copan Lake like? I left that area just before it was built.

Campgrounds
    water clearity
    Fish
    Can you fish below the dam?

Thanks Jim

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Campgrounds some of the nicest in the state as Washington Cove.
    Water Clarity.... :eek:oooh: milk chocolate half of the year...dirty the rest.
    Fish....Lots of blues, good flatheads and channels. There's a good crappie population and I've caught several over 3 pounds. There's sandies and some bass but mainly a blue cat lake mixed in with some nice flatheads and crappie.

There some good fishing below the dam in the spring when there water running. The rest of the year it's not worth your time. No boat access below the lake.

The entire upper half of the lake is still uncleared timber. There's good fishing up there but takes some time to learn to navigate the forest.

11. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Jim
    What Chris said..
    rich

12. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    I notice they are letting out 400+ at Copan. Is fishing below the dam any good right now? Any other reports on Copan?

I have heard with the higher lake levels the catfish have moved up into the shallows.

Rich

13. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Buddy and I went below Copan dam last evening, Friday, Sept 17, and got into a school of sand bass in the shallows. Brought in 13 all keepers. I had a couple cat fish poles in the spillway. Caught my first Blue, all of 8" long. Sent it back to grow some more. Also, caught my first Flat head. About 4 lbs and got some nice fillet's off it along with the sand bass. Will post photos as soon as i can.

Now I have a PB to try and beat.

thanks for all the information posted here that is great help.

Rich

14. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Water is up and the 2 gates are open .5' running approx 980fpm. Going to give it a try on Saturday using worms, minnows, stink bait for Catfish and jigs for crappie/Sand Bass. Might tight line a minnow for crappie, too. Will just see how it plays out.

Will advise.

15. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    Caught 2 keeper blue cats 1-3 lbs. One 2+ lb sand bass and 8 other sand bass keepers. Couldn't entice a crappie all morning.

16. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Richard,

Were you fishing the lake or below the dam? I know by your reports you have been doing some fishing below the dam and with the water still running, I was wondering if you caught them below.

17. rmoberly

rmoberly New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, O
    We were fishing below the dam on the west side. I think the 2+ lb sand bass was actually a hybrid. Not familiar enough with them to know for sure. Anyway after about 10am everything quit. Tried copan point and cotton creek but no luck. Went back below the dam on the East side and still no bites.

We were using minnows, worms and jigs.

Depending on the weather and home projects this weekend, will give it another go.

rich

18. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    During the Winter there's some guys that will park below the dam and walk up and across the dam road and crappie fish. They will fish behind the bouy lines and do pretty decent on the crappie. I actually almost caught a state record about 4 years ago 3 pound 14 ounce crappie from there. There's some big crappie in that lake when you can find them.

19. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    3# 14oz. is a big crappie from any lake!!!!! would make agood blue bait.