Coosa River

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by bumper, Jun 6, 2008.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I pulled an all nighter on the Coosa River last night and ended up catching 3 stripers and 9 blue cats. I posted a report and a pic of the biggest fish, a 36 lb. blue, in the member fishing reports section if anyone wants to check it out. Also, I encourage everyone else to enter some fish in the GA Hall of Fame section because there are no channels or flatheads in there. Good luck fishin' everybody.

2. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    congrats! sounds like a great trip.

3. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    My Dad and I were out there Friday night ,we caught 7 blues and 2 yellows above brushy branch. The biggest got off the next was maybe 8lbs (nice fillets) more important we had a great time.

4. geeseman

geeseman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    awsome cat, I got a 15lb the other day trying to cut bait for stripes out of Brushy. I hope this stays on this is the third time I have registered to get on this site. Hope to get a few other guys on here that catfish in North Georgia!!

5. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    Same here Geeseman we are going out again tonight.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Marc (Stumpjumper) and I fished the Coosa last night and had a good trip. I posted another report in the member fishing reports section. Good luck fishin'.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Bumper,
    36Lb, is a great fish on the Coosa, Congrats Bud,,, went to the nuke plant on the TN river Wed. and struck out and had to settle for catching TRASH fish "Bass" :wink:,, Me and Alison my 11 yr old , caught about 50 in the 1-5 lb range on live threadfins"

puddle,,,

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I fished the Coosa again last night and had another good night I caught a fat 33 lber, but the wildest thing about the trip was a 24 lber I caught with only 1 eye. I don't mean a messed up eye from being hooked before or anything, just skin like the eye was never there. At 24 lbs. it's been doin' fine with 1 eye, so I let it go like the other big ones. Here are some pics. The 33 lber, and 2 pics of the 1 eyed cat (1 from each side to compare).

Attached Files:

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Nice fish David,,
    Looks like you have them dialed in over there...:wink:
    Puddle...

10. hoth2o

hoth2o New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for a great report. The one eyed cat is a little scary.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You are really catching some good fish, I am going to have to check out that river when I get to GA

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Coosa is about as good as anywhere in GA if not better. It's no TN River but it's still pretty good. I love goin' in the summertime and stayin' all night like I did. I catch some good fish there but it's not as easy as it may seem. I catfished for 11 hours with 6 or 7 poles and only caught 10 fish, less than 1 fish per hour.

13. geeseman

geeseman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    neat, you coming out of brushy and fishing up or down? How did you do for the night I have thought about trying it after reading all your post just havent gotten around to it.

You catchin shad and cut baitin or bringing in some homebrew. I have been using chicken nuggets around the local farm ponds here just wondering how they might do out there.

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    In case ya'll don't have this link for the Coosa it helped me when I fished it.

Gives the Water Temps and Water Height and nice to have.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02397530

Place on your "favorites" if u are going to need it.

:0a26:

15. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    im in north ga cartersville area . welcome to boc

16. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    nice fish bro im a have to hit the coosa one day

17. GregH

GregH New Member

State:
    Ga
    David,
    I live around Rome and have fished the Coosa but never with the results you are getting. Good luck and be careful!
    Greg Harrison

18. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    First, I want to welcome all our newer members here. It's nice to see some more people in the GA section. To answer a couple questions, I usually fish up river from brushy but I fish the entire river from Rome to the state line from all 4 boat ramps. I use live or cut shad or bream for bait, and I'm specifically targeting big fish with stout gear, big hooks, and big baits. I release all fish over 10 lbs. and I encourage everyone else to take a camera and do the same, but it's your choice. The Coosa gets heavy fishing pressure and I believe it's important to release the larger ones to breed so that there will be plenty of smaller fish to eat. DNR even recommends that people do not eat blues over 32 inches from the Coosa because of contamination. If you would support only keeping 1 cat over 34" per day please sign this petition http://www.petitiononline.com/JNDH34/petition.html. Also, if you go out night fishing, please be careful. Go slow and use a spotlight after dark because there are usually some large logs and stuff floating in the river. Make sure your lights are on and other boats have plenty of room before you doze off while night fishin', and good luck fishin' to ya.

19. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The log thing is true on the Coosa from one end to the other I believe. The river is a great place but it is dangerous running hard at night for sure. I would go slow in the dark and use the spotlight.

20. GregH

GregH New Member

State:
    Ga
    bumper,
    You are correct about the logs and such, I saw a lot of gar when I had my boat... I fished out the the park downtown and from the highway 100 ramp and also from the Lock and Dam. At times I caught loads of small fish. I did not target the larger fish. There are plenty of high banks and loads of bushpiles certain times. Be careful on that ole river and good luck!
    Greg Harrison