coosa river shore fishin

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by danbran4, May 30, 2008.

1. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    My name is Jeff and I just got to alabama, I was wonderin if anyone knew of a good spot between riverside and neely henry? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't ever fished that part of the river, but someone will chime in soon that has I'm sure.

Welcome to the BOC!!! :big_smile:

3. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thanks I appreciate it. Talk to you later

4. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    Here are your options, at Neely Henry Dam you can fish either side of the the Coosa. The east side is Calhoun County and has a catwalk that goes down by the turbines, the west side is St Claire County and has a boulder riprap bank down to the back water in front of the flood gates.
    Next down Hwy 77 is where Ohatchee Creek joins the Coosa. There is lots of bank fishing areas but unfortunately the river channel is on the otherside of the river.

5. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    Here are your options, at Neely Henry Dam you can fish either side of the the Coosa. The east side is Calhoun County and has a catwalk that goes down by the turbines, the west side is St Claire County and has a boulder riprap bank down to the back water in front of the flood gates.
    Next down Hwy 77 is where Ohatchee Creek joins the Coosa. There is lots of bank fishing areas but unfortunately the river channel is on the otherside of the river. If your happy with dinks or eaters these are probably your best choices.
    Between the Dam and Riverside there is some great fishing, most of it though is only accessible by boat. There is an iron bridge in Riverside with some access I think. Good size blues cruise the area around spring and fall.
    If your gonna fish the Coosa, my advice is to get a small boat. It is the only way to fully enjoy this great river. It doesn't have to be big or new, just something to get you around from spot to spot.

6. danbran4

danbran4 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thanks for the advice,on where to fish,You have been good help. I checked out the dam, it was pretty crouded but good and in a couple of days i will check it out down at that bridge, I think i know where your talkin about. Thanks again.

7. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    dan i fish the coosa also. i also fish around the alpine bay area. there are alot of places in the pell city area that have some good shore fishing. you can also go to logan martin dam and fish from the plat form,at times this is a good place but it can be crowded at times. you can also try clear creek harbor and ask them in the store about fishing the point behind the store. i have caught a 31 and a 20 pounder there. i was in a boat but you can still cast to the cover from the bank. get a map of the river and look at it. you can find them in most bait stores. in fact i am not sure if you know where riverside outdoors is but you can try there and luckys bait and tackle in pell city.but like the genteleman told you earlier get a small boat and fish small areas. i use a 14 ft. aluminum boat with a trolling motor and have caught some very large fish. so far my biggest is a 50 pound blue i caught last jan.if you have any more questions you can pm me.

8. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    all the way down the river is great fishing.
    in the winter start at the creeks that enter the coosa river.
    at this time the shad is every were in these creeks,so are the large cats.
    now in the spring.i fish the flood gates sides of the banks .the big cats are stacked up around the rocks there feeding on the shad.
    now on the platt form at logan martin dam its thick with people in the summer
    but when hunting season hits the place is dead.i use 14 ft rods and fish for the big cats there in the winter time with a lot of luck.the best place to be is right next to the dam it self.cut bream,shad,and live bream works the best.
    this time of the year use slip floats aprox 12 to 15 ft deep with cut bream or shad.
    if you can get in there now use live blue giles the flat heads are moving now.

fish these areas at nite for the big cats ,now if you just want a mess of fish to eat then day light is fine.if you like slab crappie then the spring hit the creeks with a green and black grub or minnows.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me.