Coosa River in Georgia - Is anyone catching any catfish?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cathooker, May 18, 2006.

1. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Has anyone been fishing the Coosa for Cats lately? Have ya caught any? I am going to finally get to slip away for a day on the river next week.

2. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Two of us hit the Coosa last Saturday night (10 June). Perfect full moon. After full moon rise we turned off the lanterns and just fished by the moon. Last year I switched over to all Ugly Stick rods, which are white, and what a differance that makes. Those things really stand out in the moonlight.
    We had one rod with shrimp, one with cut bait and the rest had live bream. Only two fish all night. One 10 lb channel on live bream and an 11 lb flattie on live bream. It was kind of slow but at least we were not skunked.
    The final note of the night came at about 4:30 AM when we tried to fire up the engine for the ride back up river. My battery died and we had to try to use the trolling motor to get back to the launch. Well, after all the use that battery had already seen that night, it lasted about two hours before it gave out. By this time the sun was up and, fortunately for us, two DNR guys had survey nets out to sample sturgeon and the gave us a tow for the final two or three miles to the launch.

3. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Sounds like a wild time..... I have never had much luck on the Coosa during the full moon. It may just be me but I stay home during that time now.

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Just thought I would mention that the pic in my profile was caught off the Coosa...downstream from Rome a couple years ago.

From what I do remember, fishing below the power plant in the spring and early summer is really good. When the water temps get higher, the fish will usually move up above the power plant and you can typically do pretty well.

Although I currently live in Arizona now, the Coosa is a really good place to fish.

Martinman

5. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Man I would like to help but thats north of me. But on the altamaha river I've catching some real late in the day between 8pm and midnight. I don't know if that helps as far as time go's.