Cooper River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by chrisblue, Oct 2, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I finely got to seriously fish the cooper yesterday and I had a ball caught 18 from 2 to 10 lbs.I couldnt manipulate a big one into bitin I even started using fist sized mullet heads and 3 to 4 menhaden on each hook and the little ones still ate it.Those are some mean fish, that 10lb fish faught like a 20lb lake fish.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like you had a good day.

What part of the river were you at?

I generally get my bigger fish on the deep ledges or on flats in about 20 feet of water right near a ledge that drops down deeper.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I'm really glad things worked out well for you, buddy. I just wish I could have been there. Now you've got a better idea of where to go and what to do when you get back down....:smile2:

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I put in at Bushy Park and fished all the way to strawberry bridge.The most and biggest fish came from around the Bushy park area.I really like the cooper, I just got to get used to the tides and currents.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We've gotten some pretty good blues from the Bushy OPark landing on up to SCE&G or a bit above. Lately I'm hitting other rivers for flatheads mostly.

I've always had trouble dealing with the tides on the Cooper, too. When the ebb is running strong, it's real hard to keep a bait on the bottom with all of the floating weed. I know some people drift to reduce the weed problems. I have found a few spots where you can sort of hide out from the weed/current in eddies and such. You can also run up river to stay ahead of the tide and then jump back down as it starts to turn downriver...

The other thing to keep in mind, is that while the ebb is runnng the strongest is the best time to drift the banks around Bushy Park and cast into the pockets with a grub jig for spottails, flounder, and trout. Sometimes we'll do that, then anchor and fish for cats when the tide slows or turns to flood.

6. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    glad you found fome fish on the cooper, if your like me you will get hooked on fishing that great cat water. did you find or look for the hole i told you about. I plan to hit the cooper sunday for a the big one.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think I found the one your talkin about but the current was runnin the wrong way for me to fish it.Yeah your right about gettin hooked on that place, once I get used to it, it'll be hard to get me out from down there.

8. JTehan

JTehan New Member

State:
    florida
    I used to fish the cooper asround bushy park when I lived on James Island. Your post brings back good memories. Thanks:big_smile:

9. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina

I fish in the Bushy Park area 60% of the time.I nevered heard of this bridge.Are you talking about the bridge before you get to Pimilico if you are coming from Bushy Park boat landing?I was just curious.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well its a train trussle not the one near Pinopolis the one on down the river thats real low to the water.I'm not sure thats the name of it but I thought I heard somebody call it that.

11. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I've done really well fishing the saltwater side of Bushy Park up to the hot water discharge. The first three creeks on the right seem to produce well almost any time and the drop offs around the hot water discharge and the opposite side of the river have turned up some nice flatheads. You are always fighting the current up there though.
    Matt

12. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    now when you say bushy park are you talking about by the navy base or by cyprus gardens. i have heard both of them called bushy park. i have asked several people and they tell me different answers. i have never fished the cooper and have always wanted to. i can share tips on lake moultrie if you want.

13. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    how big do the cats on the cooper river get? are the cats on lake moultrie bigger or smaller and where would you catch more?

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well they get pretty big there one up to 109lbs and I think 8 ounces which used to be the world record came out of the tailrace canal. That fish more than likely come from down the cooper river in some of the deeper holes to spawn till it got to the Pinopolis dam.Bob has caught some monsters down there also.I dont know much about it yet but I know its addicting because the fight of the fish is twice as good as lake fish.

15. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    snooker,
    Bushy Park is right off the side of the naval weapons station. If you take the last left on Redbank road before you hit the gate that takes you back towards NPTU. The Bushy Park ramps or just ahead, the right side of the road is the saltwater side and the left freshwater, the freshwater side brings you out at cypress gardens. I do better on the saltwater side and I fish the creeks. My avg fish goes 2-10lbs, all blues with very few bullheads mixed in. I have caught fish in the creeks up to 26lbs and heard of a few catches of 35 and 42 in yellow house creek lately. I've caught flatheads by the hot water discharge on the opposite side of the river up to 36lbs. As far as comparing the river to the lake, I do not do that well on moultrie but I do like to go up there and fish tournaments. The big fish winners on the lake seem to be a little bigger than the ones on the river when Berkley fire and rescue has thier tournament out of gilligans. About 53lbs v/s 47lbs or so. But the tournament on the river is just 8 hours during the day vice 30 hours. I have had some good days on the lake but am not consistant at all so any help would be appreciated, one thing I do believe though is that fish on the river tend to taste better and the meat seems to be whiter. I get some on the lake that have brown meat around the ribs. Also, I think people who know how to fish the main channel catch bigger fish than I do in the creeks, I just havent been able to figure it out with the steep currents and floating weeds. Hope this helps.
    Matt

16. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    that helps alot. look at the lake moultrie pages. i have put all my info there. there are so many people that have helped me out there. i like the lake cause i can put in at short stay and not have to fight the crowds like bushy park. i went there one sat morning at 600 and i was like the 15 car waiting to put the boat in. i would rather put in on the tail race and go down that way. i need to try the cooper soon. some times the lake is hard to read. it is hit or miss with me.
    what tide do you fish on the cooper?

17. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    snooker,
    I can't send a message back because I don't have enough posts. I'm stationed in Kings Bay now so I don't get up there that often, but if I have a couple of days on a weekend I can get up that way I will give you a yell. You must have picked a bad time for the bushy park ramp. I never had much problem on the saltwater side especially at 0600, of course I fished alot at night. Holiday weekends could get rough too. The freshwater side was having a bass tournament every thursday afternoon so it got kinda messy over there. I always liked fishing the last half of outgoing through the middle of incoming. I think I did better because the water was out of the grass and the fish were more concentrated. I fished a lot of creek mouths so that made outgoing ideal. Also about the middle of outgoing the water is out of the grass so it is much easier to find bait to cast on. I'll keep that fishing invite in mind, I'm in off-crew now so my weekends are free through Feb. I've never been fishing with the shallow water navy before, LOL.
    Matt

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We placed 4th in the tournament on the Cooper yesterday.It was tough with the Ebb tide pulling all the weeds down the river.The first place team dominated the feild by 70+lbs.They had a 67lb blue and 128lbs total for 5 fish.They done their homework.2nd place had 50 somethin lbs.3rd had 47 and we had 37lbs.I learned somethin about the Cooper river this weekend and that is if you dont know where to go to get out of all the weeds during the full moon than dont give your money away.:big_smile: It's a whole different river on a full moon.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I fished there on a similar tide back in the spring, fought the grass the same way you did, Chris. Someone else told me later to fish the inside areas of the bends, where the grass isn't as bad. I was fishing the breaks in those rice fields, and it looked like bales of hay coming through. LOL
    It's a tough place to fish, but I've seen a lot of big blues come out of there.
    There is an article on the Cooper in the latest SC Sportsman mag.

20. ncharlestoncatman

ncharlestoncatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Matt, Where is the hot water discharge on the saltwater side? Is it by the SCE&G plant? Also, the three creeks you are refering to; are they part of Yellow house Creek? Any information on location, types of bait, anchoring,etc. would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year! THanks, Howard