Cooper river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by chrisblue, Jun 20, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Anybody been here latley I'm gonna be down there this weekend.Can you get to Goose creek resevoir from the cooper river in a boat or is that not possible.I've heard rumors that you could and rumors that you couldnt somebody set em straight please.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I guess nobody knows whether you can go from Goose Creek res to the cooper river with a boat ha.Alright does anybody know about the rules in the restricted area.Can you go threw it but just not stop or whats the situation on that.Please help I dont want to get shot out of the water by a missile.:big_smile:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I'm fairly certain you can't get into GCR from the Cooper, although I've never actually fished the reservoir. There is a creek that fruns from the reservoir to the river, though. As for security, I never have been into that area, so I can't help you there either. I do know that you had best keep moving and don't get any closer to a ship or dock than absolutely necessary. The security level changes daily in that area, and the level determines boat traffic movement. You can rest assured that if you do something not allowed, someone will be quick to let you know about it.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know for sure about the resevoir, but since they call it a resevoir, I bet there's a dam. You can go up the creek from the river, but I doubt you can get into the resevoir.

The rule for the restricted zone is that you can drive through (stay on the side away from the base), but don't stop. You can probably even get away with fishing, IF you are out of site of the base. They tightened up a lot after 9/11. A lot of people used to fish right around there, and they didn't really care. A while back (few years) they came and chased us out of the upper end of Yellow House. The guys said that because they could see us from the base, we had to go. If we were out of sight, they wouldn't have bothered.

PS - if yo are looking for cats: With the drought lately, I wouldn't bother fishing around the restricted area right now anyway. Prolly be better off upriver a bit. Too salty down there. Ought to be some menhaden around, though. Great bait. Keep them on ice - they spoil real quick.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I appreciate the info fellas.I'll be puttin in at the cooper river bridge and attempting to go up to the tees.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Getting to the Tees isn't bad. Pretty ride, too. Watch it, though, if you go on up the west branch (toward Moncks Corner). Sometimes it can be hard to tell the river channel from the old rice fields (especially around Strawberry - near where the back river comes out from Cypress Gardens) until after you find yourself bogged down and stuck in the middle of a huge mess or hydrilla. I've seen it happen many many times.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I got to fish for about 2 hours we done alot of riding because I had family on the boat.Didnt catch any fish just a few bites.Somebody please explain to me how you manage to fish anchored down in that river.I would find some huge fish on the graph anchor down, throw rods out and five minutes later the rods would be bent over with 15 to 20 lbs of moss and hydrilla all over the line, weights and bait a fish would have a hard time finding your bait in all that mess.So I only got to leave the rods in the water for 7 minutes tops.That moss puts up a good fight in 2 mph current.Is that stuff always floatin down the river like that or was just because of strong tide.Beutiful place lots of gators and wildlife.I marked some big fish on the bottom around the 526 bridge but they where still dolphins in that area tellin me that it was still salt water but I,ve heard that catfish are caught that far down so I wonder if it was catfish.Couldnt fish on em because every body was whinin wantin to go back home.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know exactly what you mean about the floating weed. In most places on the river it is virtually impossible to fish when the current is moving.

There area a couple of things you can do about it. One is to fish around the tides - as the tide changes, the current is a lot lighter. The time of high and low is later and later as you go up river, so if you're willing to ride around a bit, you can fish a spot in light current for a while and then pick up and run upriver and do it again. By the way, the New Moon was this weekend, so the currents were even stronger than usual, which probably stirred up even more weed than usual.

The other thing to do is to look for areas with less flow. There are places where you can go to sort of hide from the strong current. Some corners have back eddies. Some ledges funnel most of the current and weeds to one part of the river. You can also anchor right on the bank in areas where it drops off quickly and there wont be many weeds floating there.

I've never heard of anyone catching cats as far down as 526. The rock around the bridge pilings is good for sheepsjead, though, and folks also catch black drum there.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah I'm gonna have to fish it again when I have a more determined fishin partner and not the whole family.Those big arches I seen around 526 must have been bottom dwelling saltwater fish.The people that told me they catch cats there may have been catchin saltwater cats because they dont fish for catfish enough to know the difference.What about driftin I know alot of people catch smaller ones like that but can you consistantly catch big ones doin that.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, actually, 526 is far enough from the ocean entrance to catch freshwater cats. I know of folks catching them in yellowhouse creek, and people catch them a lot in the ICW at Georgetown's South Island Ferry landing, and in Winyah Bay, which is even closer to the ocean. I've seen people catch sheepshead and channel cats off the dock at the ferry.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well maybe those where catfish I seen then that can be a good thing because they wasnt any weeds in that area.