cooper river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by nanny patrol, Jan 3, 2010.

1. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Brad (fishmccall ) and I went down Fri. and Sat. planning on drifting Moultrie but the wind had other plans for us. We have never fished in the tailrace or down the river but didnt want to have a wasted trip so we gave it a try. We didnt know ANYTHING about the river and fishing the tide but we took what we've learned on the BOC and the pointers Wesley (crclhuk1) gave us gave it a try. We were glad to just not get skunked. We put in at Cypress Gardens went out to the river. Fished from the tressel down to the first plant. Friday had several bites but only hooked up with 5. A 36, 25, 12, 10, 6. On Sat only had 4 bites all 10-12 lbs. All caught on gizzards.

Attached Files:

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    that sounds like a good trip for first time on tidal waters

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    EXCELLENT! Bet you'll be back in that tailrace again! :wink:

Bill in SC

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Actually it sounds like he was fishing the Pimlico area.The trestle he describes is left out of the Cypress Gardens canal.The tailrace is a long ways from there.That is a great catfishing spot they were fishing though.
    Man,thats not bad fishing for your first time out there.Youre a natural.
    Thanks for the report.:big_smile:

5. line stretcher blues

line stretcher blues New Member

State:
    nc
    sounds like a good terip for the first time on the cooper, where are you getting gizzards this time of year?

6. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Good report on them tidal water fish Mike. Glad yall found your way back from the rice fields. It looks as if you found the fish!! Wish I coulda been with yall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

7. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    We took them with us. Got them at " The Bait Shop " in Townville S.C. The guy told us Thursday that they make a run to somewhere in Kentuky and "HOPE" they catch enough to pay for the trip.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man that's awesome! Especially for your first time on tidal water. That tidal water fishin' can sure be fun!

9. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Thats some nice fish.

10. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    You guys have inspired me to try the Cooper out one day soon. I figure I'll drop the wife and kid off at her families house in Summerville and I will head Bushy Park. My concern is from what I have always seen of the Cooper it seems pretty large and my boat is not so large. Is the river navigable in a smaller vessel?

11. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Dont know how big your boat is but if u take your time u should b fine. The main thing is watch the out going tide if u front your boat in the grass and fish out of the back because it will leave u stc=uck until it comes back in.

12. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Been there, done that! Harper, I would put in at Cypress gardens vice Bushy Park though. I haven't done very well this time of year in the brackish water. Most of my fish in Jan. are caught on dropoffs in the main channel and there seems to be alot more debris in the water down in the brackish stuff. I would go out of Cypress and fish the drop offs around the trussel and rice fields. If you do put in at bushy on the fresh water side, stay left until you see the cypress gardens bridge. Be careful coming out of cypress gardens into the channel, you can end up in a rice field before you know it.