Cooper River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by matt22va, Jul 29, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Does anyone out there catfish on the Cooper? I've been watching for ever to see a report but I think I might be the last Catfisherman on it. Somebody has to have a canal report. Well I'm going to try catch a flathead Friday night after work. I'll let you know how it goes, I don't think the cats have too much to worry about.:smile2:

2. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Im tentatively planning to night fish the Tailrace friday.Down near the powerhouse.

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Let me know how you do Keith, I'm gonna go out of bushy park and hit a couple of deep creek bends with a lot of structure and see if I can get a flattie. If I get washed away by the weeds I've got a blue catfish area I'm gonna hit. I'm working on a tail race trip in a couple of weeks, I usually don't do very well there though.

4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    ya guys give us a report. I have fished the cooper but always at the wrong time:smile2: same for the race, never any luck.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As big as the Cooper is, it's bound to be FULL of monster cats! Just gotta find 'em!

Bill in SC

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Well, I tried the spot I had wanted to last night. My buddy got out of work late so I only had lines in the water for an hour and half. We got six hits, I'm sure two were gar, don't know about the other 4. One picked up my 8inch mullet and took it into the brush pile I was fishing and I missed him. I'm hoping it was a flattie. I had to go shopping today so I wouldn't have to go out tonight, now me and the wife are going to give it a harder a look tonight and see if I can find out what is in there. The bait situation at the ramp (saltwater side)was interesting. I usually catch mullet and menhaden, this time it was mostly what looked like small gizzard shad 4-5 inches. That would make me think salinity was low except I caught one small jack in the net which is a first for me. I hope those shad are there tonight. Well we'll let you know how it goes.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I got one Blue in 4 or 5 hours last night.Tossed him back.Thinkin about a repeat tonight.He hit a chunk of Herring.

8. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I went back last night with the wife. We fished about 5 hours. One hit, one 12lb blue(CPR) for the wife. It's her biggest since we have moved back so she was happy. I've been using my three way drift rigs from the lake, no snake weight, just a bank sinker and the bream float to hold the bait 2 feet off the bottom. They have worked very well for keeping the crabs off my bait. I kept a big mullet in the bush all night but no flathead takers. I'm hoping to go friday night, haven't decided on the river or lake. Oh yeah, that blue was caught in 12 ft on a bloodied barely kicking menhaden (2inches) in the first 15 minutes we were there, which corresponded to the last of the strong outgoing tide.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  9. fatboy2006

fatboy2006 New Member

State:
    nc
    I know alittle about cooper river.I've got aalot of family down there.So just let me know what you need.

10. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Welcome to the BOC Jamie, I'm sure you will have a good time on the site. Any tips you have and would be willing to share for the cooper would be appreciated.
    Matt

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I fished last night again and caught 3 smaller Blues on crawlers.No hits on bigger bait.Was there about 4 hours.I was closer to the bridge over 52
    this time.

12. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Hmm, mine came on small bait also, might be on to something.

13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Maybe they are just hitting smaller baits right now.I was thinking this same thing.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good reports, folks!

Bill in SC

15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Its such a long haul for me so i don't get to go much. But even when i do i have about the same report. No big fish:smile2: Thanks for the report

16. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Gotta go...where you comin from when you come down to the Cooper?

My drive is from North Charleston....

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Keith, i come from a small town right outside of Chester S,C. Usually i will take 77 and go thur Santee on into Monks Corner we would take the back roads and put in on this creek that led us out to the river (forget the name) and also have left from the tailrace and went down river. Always enjoyed the trip, lots of gators, but no big cats to date. I have a friend (Charles Davis) that got a place in Georgetown. Not sure if thats the Santee River he fish's or the cooper, but he has caught a lot of bigun's. Maybe i'll take him up on his invite.:wink:

18. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    If you ever want to come down and try some bank fishin on the Tailrace or Rediversion....let me know.Im free most weekends.

19. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    :

David,
    I think you are referring to the Take a Brother fishing post. Paul said he was going to put link on the main page where we could post, he said it would take some time though. i am doing well, thanks for asking.

As far as the quality fish on the Cooper: I've caught Flatheads up to 36 and blues up to 26. I usually fish creeks though so that limits me. I used to fish the Berkley Rescue squad 8 hour day tourny out of gilligan's and there was always a couuple of fish near 50 lbs weighed in. So they are there, I just don't know how to catch em. I want to go the tailrace and target strictly Flatheads, using the same techniques I used on the Satilla in Ga. I just haven't gotten a chance, and finding the big lively bait is difficult for me. Right now my best bet is to go out the day before and catch my mullet out of bushy park, keep em alive until the next night and head out.

20. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Matt,Im gonna bet you will catch some big Blues in there with that bait in the Tailrace....You probably will get a big Flattie in there as you go along too.