Cooper River Catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead22, Dec 27, 2005.

1. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey, guys! I wanted to start a thread on the Cooper river to see how things were going as far as catfish and get some reports of big'uns caught. I know there are big'uns in there because this is my fav place in Santee to catch a monster!!!! I had one several years back that broke my fifty lb line off on my anchor!!!!! I never had control of it, and if we hadn't had two anchors out that cat would have towed us for sure!! We had the two out cause they were not pulling water. The cat got it while we had the rod in the rod holder...No lie, the rod tip went in the water from the stress, and we werre in a Carolina Skiff DLX!!!!! So if you know what kind of boat that is, you know the rod had a long way to go down to the water! Any more stories like this (true ones!!) I'd love to hear about them.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kyle, I'm glad you started this thread. I've never fished the Cooper for cats much at all, but have been wanting to learn. Any tips you have will be appreciated. I know there are some really big fish in there, I've seen some of them. I used to fish for bream and shellcrackers there years ago, and I still go for the American Shad when they are running in the spring, but have only been maybe twice for cats.

3. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Blackwaterkatz, my buddy and I are gonna be in the Cooper River fishing all night Friday night (decided not to get a room until Sat.) Since you have fished bream and shellcracker, can you tell me where there is structure? My fav place to be in the river is next to the trussell on the right side...We had a monster of something last May, but it came off before we got it in. I also like the bends....sandbar on the inside. Great place for cruisin cats. Have you heard any reports of cats biting in the river? Have they been running water at night in the river lately? If they are not running water, we'll go up to Arrowhead and get in the Santee.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Flathead, the places you mentioned in the Cooper should be fine. That's the sort of places I look for, too. Around the openings into the rice fields is almost always a good bet, too. I haven't heard any reports, either good or bad, of catches.
    They have been pulling some water at night through there. I haven't looked today, but the water at arrowhead is being cut back some, not sure how much. It has been real high, but is projected to slowly drop. There is a link or two that I will post so you can check them. You can pull up data for the past 1-7 days. The 2-day data is easier to read for the hours they pull.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02172002&PARAmeter_cd=00060,00062,00065,72020 for the tailrace.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02171645&PARAmeter_cd=00060,00062,00065,72020 for Arrowhead.

5. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I tell you what, Blackwater, I have never been down too far from the restaurant. I have always wanted to try the rice patties but have never found a map of the Cooper river. I have a Ranger and you know how deep those hulls are, so I am very cautious about what to do. Do you have any tips as far as those patties? Also, what would be the best landing (the safest for my truck) to put out in? I have heard that Cypress Gardens has a good landing with good access to the patties...how do I fish them anyway?

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Probably the best landing would be the public landing just below the dam, on the north side of the Cooper river. I've never used the one at Cypress Gardens, so I can't help you there, although it is supposed to be convenient to the rice fields. I don't think you would have any problem with your boat in the rice fields, if you have a depth finder. They run pretty shallow, but around the openings is almost always deep. I feel like the river, deep holes would be better in the daylight hours, rice field openings probably better at night. This is just my opinion...as I said earlier, I have done very little fishing for cats down there. I don't have a map of the river, except for the one in my gps. For the most part, it is easy to run the river, you just have to make sure you don't straighten out a turn and go into a rice field. On high tide they can get a little confusing if you aren't familiar with the river, but if you've been down to the railroad trestle, you should be ok.
    If you want to try the Cypress Gardens landing, I would suggest talking to the folks at Angler's near the tailrace canal, and they may be able to share some info.
    As for Arrowhead, I spoke with Bob Shurlknight last week. Things were slow there, mostly due to the holidays, but he said some fish are being caught while the water has been high lately.

7. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    are there markers for the channel once i get to the paddies???? I'm the kind of guy that i need ot see a visual before i can feel comfty...cause i know that if i miss a turn, i'll wind up stuck....is the fishing presentation the same? how shallow are the paddies??

8. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if i put in at the william h dennis access, how far of a run will i have to make the paddies? and are the paddies before i get into the brackish waters??

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kyle, after you go downriver just a couple miles the rice fields begin. The river gets really wide about 5 miles or so down, for a little ways it may be hard to tell river from rice field, but I'm pretty sure there are markers. It's really not that hard if you just pay attention to where you're going. Things get wide again before the RR trestle, but there are markers there, too. I really doubt you would have to go that far down to find good fishing, though. You should be in fresh water all the time, but it is affected by the tide to some degree. I'm attaching a screen print of the river to give a general idea of where you will be, not sure if you can enlarge the image to read detail.

10. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Very interesting reading. I'm from Cincinnati Ohio and travel to your great cattin state at least once a year to do some cattin. I usually fish the Santee River below Marion and do quite well.... I really enjoy the trips I take there and I am always looking for a new area to try. I've thought about the Cooper River , so I'll kep an eye out on this thread..Thanks guys... THE CATKING !!! :) ( I bank fish by the way )