Cooper River 5/3

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by lakemoultrieblues, May 5, 2008.

1. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    We fished the Cooper on Saturday. We put in at William Dennis landing and went 14.5 mi downstream. We caught 7 blues, big fish was 33 lbs, one more about 8 lbs and the rest were small. All were caught on cut mullet and gizzard shad, 38-40 ft.

Don't know that area but have heard of the tees. Does anybody know where that is? Is that up or downstream from there? We were just upstream from Bushy Park according to my GPS. We were also near the SCE&G pier according to GPS. Also, is that brackish water or do I have to go farther down?

The big fish was a PB for my partner that caught it and for once we didn't have the camera, so no pics.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like an excellent trip. Great job for your partner catching his personal best. Keep us updated on future outings and PUT THAT CAMERA IN THE BOAT!!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, there is a high voltage power line upstream of SCE&G, then it's about 5 - 5 1/2 miles upstream to the Tee where the East Branch goes off from the West Branch. It's actually about 15.5 miles from the Dennis landing to the Tee, so that may be where you were fishing. Did you pass under the high voltage wires? You may have been seeing the Dupont plant, very visible from there, instead of SCE&G. My coordinates for the tee is N33 03 59.7 W79 55 22.2. There is a channel marker there, and on the inside curve the water is 65 or 70 feet deep. Not sure if it'll work, but this is a googlemaps link: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0676,-79.9215&spn=0.02,0.02&t=k
    That is considered fresh water along there. The fresh/salt dividing line is quite a ways downstream, near Bushy Park landing. Hope this helps you out...:big_smile:

4. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy, we did pass under the wires. We were right beside a plant with a red and white smoke stack. There was another white concrete building downstream a little further. I just saw the SCE&G pier on my GPS when I got home and tried to figure out where we were.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you ran from the Tailrace Canal to SCE&G, the nyou went by the Tee. The Tee is the junction between the West Branch (which goes to the Tailrace) and the East Branch (which goes up to Quimby Creek). The DuPont plant is just a couple of bends belwo the Tee.

Personally I thin k the fishin gis better down around SCE&G than it is around the Tee anyway.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    OK, then you were definitely below the tees. The 15.4 miles you mentioned earlier would be about right for a straight line distance from dennis landing, but it is considerably further by water, somewhere around 25+ miles to where you were. There are usually barges tied up to the pier there, and a warm water discharge on the upstream side. It is more than 10 miles from SCE&G to the tees. I pulled a broken down boater about 6 miles upstream from the curve above the tees, through that area one day last week. :wink:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Mark. Me and Roundhill are suppose to go exploring down that later this week. I grew up fishing in the Tailrace Canal but it was always upstream of the landing. How did yall do in the tment ad what was the wnning fish.

8. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    At least now I have a better idea of where we were. Not necessarily how to fish, I will just have to keep experimenting down there. Thanks guys.

9. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    James we were 9 th with 44 lbs. 1 st was 63 lbs and big fish was 36 lbs.

10. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Like everyone has said you were around SCE&G and Dentyens shipyard. I use to work at the SCE&G plant there you were around and caught alot of big blues. Biggest was a 62 pound blue caught on cut mullet. Great to see such a good sight with this much info.