Cooper River 12/ 1

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by sarSWAMPFOX, Dec 2, 2007.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    We pre fished the Cooper River Sat. Caught 8 Blues range between 3 lb our smallest to our largest Blue of 23 lb. We even caught a nice 8 lb channel. But the thrill of the day were the Flatheads. Pics attached any body want to quess the weight. We put in at Bushy Park Ramp. The current never really got to strong. We had a blast.

Attached Files:

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Also to let every one know we only kept the smaller blues. 3 large blues 2 flats & the channel were released. A man & his wife were fishing on the peir were we released our fish. They about had a fit, but when asked did they want some of the smaller fish to eat they declined. LOL

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks for the report. I say 32.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I'll guess 30# & 36#. Glad that you had a good day :big_smile:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Glad ya had a good day. Thanx for sharein.

6. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Looks like you had a Good trip!

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man looks great sounds like yall had a great time. I hope yall did that good in the tourney. My computer isnt to good so I can tell on the weight but look like a couple of good flatties.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report. Those were some nice fish, and thanks for the pics and for letting those big'uns go back.:wink:

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fantastic!

On another board, somebody posted pics of a bunch of big flatheads that they shot bowfishing in the Cooper. Obviously he shot them up shallow at night, probably in some of the old rice fields. Made me think I need to try there for flatheads - really only fished it for blues before (and spottails and trout).

Mind if I ask for some details? Were you using live or cut bait? How deep were those flatties?

10. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Thanks for the pics. Were they about 40 pounds?

11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    John, we caught them on hole herring dead, refrigerated not froze. Carolina rigged 24" leader, 4 oz lead, 7/0 khale. About 20' deep. We were targeting blues and just happened to catch the flats. Seem like we have been doing that alot lately, maybe I should try to target flats for a while LOL.

12. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would say about 38.4 on the weigh.Nice fish .

13. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    those were some nice fish JD,hope your results were that good during the tourney or better,thanks for sharing.

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the great catch! Got a friend who lives on the Cooper River. Gonna fish during April there. Maybe I will catch some like you did.

15. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    that sounds great. well I finally made it to 10 post so now I can see the pics on these messages that the guys are posting. I saw your pics in the paper. Congrats on 2nd place. I don't know if you saw my reply to chalk but we lost our well pump we are going to get a new one tomorrow. We will start having Shad this weekend. See ya soon.

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    JD, ? did you guys have much trouble with grass on your lines? I've always fought that problem when I fish the Cooper. Maybe I was fishing the wrong method or areas. Any ideas on that? Thanks.

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Tommy, Some places are full of grass & you can't hardly fish with out reeling in a bowling ball size grass ball.LOL A good many people had that problem while we were down there. And we found a few myself. But there are places were the grass isn't that bad. And when you find one you need enough sinker weight to keep your bait clear off grass untill the big cat gets it. Also heavy enough wieght that the blue crabs don't drag it off.

18. frankl

frankl New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I was wondering if anyone can share some advise on fishing he Cooper River out of Bushy Park. I was there once before with limited success. Anything would be helpful such as choice of baits, fishing the tide (coming in, going out, high, low), fishing the main river or focusing on the the feeder creeks which are just upriver from Bushy Park and maybe how far up river do you usually go.

thanks in advance!