Coons, Coons And More Coons

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 20, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    right Around The Begining Of March Must Be The Time Racoons Start Popping Out Their Tiny Ones. Boy I Never Knew One Female Could Have So Many Babies. I Was Doing Some Yard Work One Day And Seen A Huge Coon Casually Walk Across My Yard Into The Tool Shed. I Live In The City Limits Of Lapeer Michigan So It Surprised Me To See Her In The Daytime. A Few Days Later She Was Hit By A Car In Front Of The House.i Went To Get The Mower Out Of The Shed And Was Surprised To See Three Baby Raccoons. Put On A Pair Of Leather Gloves And Attempted To Capture Them. The First One Walked Right To Me And Climbed On To My Hand. The Two Remaining Ones Were A Little Ticked Off, But I Got Them Too. I Called What Seemed To Be Everybody In The Country But No One Could Help Me Get Rid Of Them. I Eventually Let Them Go Out By A River Where I Fish For Cats. 3 Days Later, I Found A Fourth Walking Around By The Mailbox Right Next To A Busy Road I Might Add. So I Captured Him And Released Him In The Same Area As The Other Three. The Day After That, I Found Two More. One Of Which Was Walking Around On The Deck And The Other Was In The Back Yard. I Removed A Couple Of Ticks Off One And Took Them Out And Released Them, In The Same Area Of Course. They Are Considered A Nuisance Species So The Dnr, Animal Control, And Rehabilitation Centers Told Me I Was On My Own. I Will Never Get Involved With Those Tiny Critters Again.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Rick, better in the shed than the attic. I have lived in three rental houses in my life. One had coons inthe attic. one had squirrels I would take coons over tree rats any time. the squirrels stored walnuts in the house walls by rolling them down the sloped ceilingabove te stairway. They started at dawn every morning. thumpity thump thump. The walls were white. the lndlord inspected the house and said i had to paint the walls white again. i had to prove t him the green tint was from walnuts. He had a man put sheet aluminum over the eaves where they got into the house. Made for some really mad suirrels they eat holes in the aluminum to get back in. I moved out not long after. they may still be there or thier off spring.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep thats about how it is here even PETA won't get involved they say they are indiginous to the area and they will not help. Now on the other hand don't let them find out you harmed one because then the stink is on. I had to do what you did but I used a friendly trap and took them out about 25 miles from nothing but close to water and cover and let them go but I only had two to deal with it sounds like you had a couple of differnet families worth on your hands.

4. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    ive Had To Deal With Woodchuck, Rabbits And Treerats When It Comes To That Darned Shed. Im Tearing It Down And Building A New One This Fall, Varment Proofed Of Course. The Dnr Told Me I Can Be Fined For Having The Baby Coons In My Possesion Without A Permit. Im Big Into Conservation So I Was Very Aware On How I Treated Them Around My Kids, Who Wanted To Keep Them By The Way...my Kids Would Keep Just About Anything As A Pet If I Let Them!! I Think Most Kids Are That Way Though..lol!

5. Cut 'em boys, Dixie struck, Dixie treed, Plus it up!

6. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Id love to do me some coon hunting up in MI. I went there on a fishin' trip and saw some of the biggest coon I ever saw...and they're all over the place.

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My gramps shot a 42 pounder last year in his feed bin.

Theyre way too overpopulated.

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Thank you peta way to go should not have anyone ware them they should just die on the road!