Coonhounds

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Kennie G, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Kennie G

Kennie G New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone on here run hounds? I see alot of people still trap but no talk of coondogs. I hunt a nitechamp bluetick, been doing it for a couple years now.

2. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    oh yeah
    as a matter of fact we have had really great luck in north mo the past two years. 2 years ago had a season high with my dog angel and a few other dogs that ran with her. a total of 244.. and im not even joking. the coons are lousy thick where i live.
    james

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Kennie I used to coon hunt quite a bit here in arkansas everything is leased up land that is. Plus the big timber company's have clear cut everything. Just about everything now is eather a major thicket or a pine Plantation.So when my blue tick died I quit.

4. Yep, walkers and one sorry old english dog here.

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yep, I've got one young walker dog and a walker bitch that's about to pop out a litter. I've also got 2 patterdale/jack russell pups that are gonna assist us this next year. Here in SW Oklahoma, the coons have a nasty habit of finding brush piles and trash dumps and generally undesirable places..... so I'm planning on sending my little dogs in after 'em. Those 2 pups think they're 10 ft. tall and bulletproof. It oughta be fun.

My young walker dog is still learning, as am I. He has trouble staying at the tree. I've put some coons out to him, and he's a nightmare on a coon. He'll fight with reckless abandon, but it's just been a challenge for me to get him to stay at the tree. I think I need to tie him up and let him tree for a several minutes each time we tree. Don't know for sure. It'll be a new challenge this next year. My old hunting partner has figured out that there's girls in the world now, and he's decided to chase them instead of ringtails. Gotta find me a new hunting partner.

Adios.

Jerrod

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Tieing that dog to the tree mite do more harm than good, just stay at the tree and encourage him. Or climb the tree and push the coon out on the pup's give them a taste every time they tree, he will come around.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I agree with RIP. Just stay with him and keep encouraging him. Get you a coon squaller and try talking the coon down the tree.

8. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Ok, here's where I disagree with RIP. I personally think that tying the dog back and shooting the coon out to another dog would be the most help in the world. Just tie the dog back just out of reach of the tree and the coon and let him watch all of the action. As soon as he sees that the dog on the tree gets the meat, he'll come around.

9. Kennie G

Kennie G New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know if it is right or not but I think when he trees you need to get to him fast leash him to the tree and pet him up good. if he starts to come off correct him by pulling him back up and pet him more. If you have a good stay put tree dog tieing him back and dropping the coon to the good dog could also help. I wouldn't let him have a coon until he does it how you want it. jmo Kennie

10. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I coon hunt. I usually sell out at the end of season and get the fever again in August

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I miss those days- er nights,:confused2: course I miss my granpa also!:sad2:

12. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When we were growing up we hunted almost every night of the season with this little redbone named Fargo. He was basiclly a meat dog. He would chase anything that he thought you wanted. It took us forever to teach him that he was to chase only coons at night. It took a lot of 'whuppins'. He was the very best track dog I've ever seen before or since. He wouldn't stay treed though, no matter what we did. He lived for the trail. If he got after an old ringtail, it better hit a tree or take a hole cause he would catch it. When he was 9 months old he ran an adult red fox down in an open field, caught it and killed it. He got a butt whippin for that to. Not a bad one, mind you, an attention getter.
    We took to huntin' him with a neighbor's old redbone that would set hard on a tree. Any hunter that spends alot of time with their dog can tell what their dog is doing by the sound of the dogs bark/baying. We knew as did this old dog (Rusty) when Fargo was gettin' close to treeing. Rusty would stay close to us until Fargo started gettin' close. As soon as Fargo stopped (circling the tree) Rusty would take off towards him. We would head in that direction. Fargo would typically bark a couple of tree barks and then he was gone. We would just keep going and would soon come up on Rusty under the tree. We caught alot of coons with those two redbones using that method. Rusty would just stay with us. He was 13-14years old. He just couldn't keep up with Fargo. Then again, we never ran across any other hound that could either. No brag, just fact. We ran him against some Grand Nite Champions and they just couldn't hold a candle to Fargo. He was a great dog for kids. He was family, a constant companion, guard dog/burglar alarm. Damn, I miss that dog.

13. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    kennie, i did alot of coon hunting in the past and just got back into it. my kids are 6 and 5 year olds. got my boy a 2yr old walker, and claimed a b/t pup for my girl, we go get him 1st week of august. his mother is nt ch gr ch and father is nt ch. hope to make our start with him.