Coon Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by billNpam, Oct 11, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    It has been over 25 years since I have been coon hunting. Just wanted if there some one close to me (Huntsville AL) that would not mind me tagging along on a hunt. I do not want anything except to hear some good ole coon dog runing and some good ole hunting fellowship.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I can't go anymore, but my property is situated such that when the fella goes that I allow to hunt, I can just sit outside and hear them sing. Walked outside this morning at 4:00 and two of my outside dogs had taken one down just before I came out. They don't sing or tree, they just kill. That poor coon didn't know what hit him. Really nice pelt, very nice pelt for early yet. We'll probably have snow up to our rear this year.

Watch this volunteer stuff though. Just so they don't have you go into the tree for hangers.

3. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    John
    Don't know how many trees I fell out of when I was younger trying to shake them out to the dogs. Hec If I fell out of a tree now I would not be able to walk.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hope ya find place to go. John

5. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
  6. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Well did you make it out for a hunt yet?

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    This may not be what you wanted but it's what I have to offer.
    My dad hunted coons for many years in the Blanco Canyons of west Texas. He hunted for one purpose.. for the kill!

This picture was made in Jan 1949, we moved everything we had (including the dogs, I drove all the way) in that 48 Ford F1 to AR a few days later. After moving to AR he lost interest in coon hunting due to the lack of coons in that part of AR. Fox hunting was more popular in that neck of the woods and he hated fox hunting... he said it was boring. I agree,:big_smile:.

He sold two of the dogs for good money and accidently poisoned the best two trying to kill skunks under the chicken house with strychnine.

Attached Files:

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anybody been to a "Coon-on-a-log contest" ?

They were quite popular when we first moved to AR. They had a coon chained to a log in the middle of a pond. The contest was to see if your hound could get the coon off the log. If a dog succeeded, a guy in a boat would pull the dog back to protect the coon.... sometimes pull the coon back to protect the hound.

Our dogs were from west TX and had little experience with fights in the water so they could never get the coon off the log. Most dogs couldn't either! It was fun watching. I guess the animal rights NUTS have got laws passed to stop "Coon-on-a-log". But there was never a danger to the coon that was chained to the log... but I've seen the coon dang near drown some hounds. :smile2:

9. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Guys, Luke Clayton here. I want yall to go to www.catfishgold.com and in the center of the opening page, you can click on the current radio show, where Guy Manning is talking coon hunting. it's streamed here. you can also go to www.catfishrado.com and download the segments with Manning.. Enjoy. lc

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    me on right 15 years ago. i hunted them a few years. my grandfather hunted them alot years back. i remember when a big sow would bring $50 or more.

last time i sold them we got $7.50 for each one it was that or he said hed give $1 for tiny ones all the way up to $15 for a big. are coons all wernt huge so we took the adverade. i quit when going wasnt profitable. if it wouldnt pay rent i wouldnt kill one ror $2.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35005&d=1200884171

11. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I used to go coonhunting alot years ago. Man I love to hear a good dog Trail and tree. To be way off down in the bottoms at night about 2oclock in morning and hear one tree its nothing like it. It can be down right spookey standing there in those bottoms waiting for your dog to strik a trail and a durn screech owl cut loose it will make your hair stand up. And it so cold you are breaking ice to get to the tree that dog has treed at and you have to hold your breath to be able to see the coon because of the steam from your breath. But boy ain't it fun!

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    its been a long time, but it was fun, i used to go out with a couple guys, and sometimes another friend of mine went. pretty exciting to me. one of the guys gave me a big black and tan once, and I borrowed one of his dogs, went out but the one was closed mouth and the other was a young one, one minute they were there, the next they were gone. didn't see or hear nothin, drove around for miles then went and got another dog, but lost that one too. this was friday nite, finally on tue, i got word that they showed up at a farm about 5 miles away. they were pretty sad lookin. couple years later, i quit for a few years of world travel and excitement. one of the guys died, and the other got health problems, i don't know anyone else who does now, but dogs need care, and cost a lot of money if a guy don't get much huntin in.

13. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I coon hunt in the winter, catfish in the summer. I have a number of coon hunting video clips on the internet and a web site featuring my coon hounds. With a user name like Redtick, you could guess I am a coon dog man. I met Guy Manning at a PKC Competition Coon Hunt.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im 65 years old and i still coon hunt just not for hides anymore.ive changed over to cur dogs instead of blueticks and black and tans cause i cant climb these old mountains any more.i hunt my dogs in front of my truck now and if they tree to far from the truck i just call them off and go tree another.i dont kill the coons any more but if i tree a half grown one i take one to eat now and then.if you lived closer or you make a trip to arkansas give me a call id be glad to have you along.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    never tried it w/ dogs--bet that's fun