Coon Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Whiskers4life, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I just recently picked up a Bluetick Purebread for free, and was wondering if anyone has one or what not, I got to take her in to get her eyes fixed, and was wondering if its typical or not.......Shes a great beautiful dog which is just under a year old and weighs in at nearly 80 pounds....Thanx

2. 80 pounds sounds like she is an old fashioned blue out of one of the older bloodlines, maybe even some gascon blood in there. Does she have papers? What is the problem with her eyes? Some of the older lines that had excessive loose skin had problems with entropion(sp?) where the eyelids would roll inward and the lashes irritate the cornea. I understand requires a surgical fix.
    I hunt clover bred walkers here and really like this bloodline as it reminds alot of how an old fashioned blue should perform in the woods with added walker speed. Well good luck with your hound.

3. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yeah, thats whats wrong, her bottom eye lids are that way, and it costs like 800 dollars to do it......Shes a wonderful dog, I do not have papers for her, a lady gave her to me, and she said her dad was a great hunter......

4. I bet she is a good looking hound. I've always had a soft spot for old fashioned blues. My first dog memories are of Dad's smokey river blueticks. Always had a hankering to get me some dogs like Dad had. Most of the blues out there today just don't have the look and style to satisfy me. I like a big to rangy looking hound with a hound head and ears with good cold noses that can work tracks as it comes to them and work them to completion, couple that with a long dying bawl on track and stay put tree and you have my ideal hound.

5. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    She does have that loud long bay, and whens on a good scent, she won't lay off of it.....I live outside a moderate sized city, sort of in woods, and we got a lot of rabbitts here, and my place is on 11 acres, and man can she run after those bunnies........LoL.......I live with my aunt and uncle, and they have two purebred German Shepperds, and they cant even touch her.......They are all about the same age, and shes surpassed the male by atleast 6 to 7 pounds. She is not scared of them, as you know, these dogs will track a bear til its death, they have no worries, but then again, they are also great family dogs, with many sides to them.......Shes the best.....

6. They ain't the lay on the porch and guard the food bowl dogs so many think they are. At least not the good ones anyway. Takes someone who really loves these hounds to put up with them, especially when one of these big idiots wants to sound off at two o'clock in the morning. LOL Seriously I got a young male here that I have heard at over a mile and a half from the house. Don't know why I put up with his nonsense.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Yall bring back too many memories and the longin I allways had for a bluetick pup.
    enjoy the moment!

8. Get you that pup and come on down. You can share the tailgate with me. These sorry old hounds of mine may not tree us a coon but they sure sound good trying.

9. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I used to live in North Carolina, well not lived, but stationed there.....And I would love to go back to fish the waters, never did anytime hunting down there.......but I know for sure coons are big down there, but up here, they're arent really as big into as the southerns are, people do stll go out and hunt them, its a great sport to do if you have the time at night to track the lil bastards and tree them....I don't have a hand gun, all I have is a Scoped .30-06 which would blow it to pieces, and thats no fun....LoL....