Coon hunters

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by BIGCAT DADDY 71, Jun 21, 2006.

1. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i did alot of coon hunting with dogs for many years growing up. my son is 6yrs old now and i bought him a walker female last fall. she's 2 yrs old and never been hunted. she is a house dog now and sleeps with him, and a good watch dog also. nate and i would like any advise on the best way to get her running/treeing coons. we did take her a few times last year, she run a few tracks, rabbits i'am guessing and a possum, which she barked awhile on tree and left it when we got to her. heres a picture of nate and his first dog. thanks for any info, scott and nate.

2. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    My best advice is to trap a coon in a live trap and show it to the dog. Get the dog good and fired up and then tie her back and release the coon. Give it a good headstart of a couple of minutes then cut her loose. She should put it up the tree really quick. Shoot out the coon while she is still treeing. Try this during the day for the first time and then try it at night a couple of times. DON'T OVERDO IT!!!! I've seen several dogs get ruined this way. After she sees a couple in the trap and sees them go up the tree, she should get the picture.

3. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I agree with MRC but the first one you want to let go in front of the dog and have a tree close that the coon will go right up with the dog right behind that will bring out the treeing and get the dog fired up I seen a lot adogs that could run a coon but couldnt tree a lick.Also Like MRC advised not a good thing to do this a lot.What I used to do with my pups if they showed interest in the coon was to drive around at night and look for coons crossing the roads (Back roads) and walk the dog over the track if it got interested I would praise them up I keep doing that until they could run a track Not to much on this also.then I tryed to keep them in the creek bottoms as much as possible this seem to keep them from running other game also.Keepem were the coons are and you should be good If that dog has good breeding it wont take much.

4. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its gonna be hard with a 2 yo dog. But it can be done. Just stick with it and don't overdue it.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    just a friendly thought, get the movie "where the red fern grows" an older movie about a kid raising and trainin coonhounds in the ozarks. he used some of the same things my grandfather used. brought back a LOT of memories.
    the movie is a family type movie also!!

6. You've been given some good advice. Good luck with her, if she has it in her and with a little coaxing you can get it out of her.
    For more info check thses two sites.

www.ukcdogs.com

The United Kennel Club site, the world's largest registry for coonhounds. This is the home page click on message board and feel free to join in. I go by warrior there as well.

www.coondawgs.com

An independant website run by a fellow alabamian that goes by the handle of Buckshot. He has information on the old days of carbide lamps to modern comp hunts and everything in between, as well as a seperate site for big game (lions and bears) hunting with hounds. While your there check out the links to the Key-Underwood cemetery, the only coonhound graveyard in the world right here in my homestate of alabama.

BTW I hope I'm not in dutch for posting these sites. They are non competing sites to the BOC plus they have been gracious enough to allow me to post about this site on their boards and encourage my fellow coonhunters to become brothers on this site.

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks guy's, nate and i are ready for this season. we'll be posting here how things go this year. my brother said the man that brings him firewood hunts and has a good black/tan male, and he give his phone # to call and we can take our dog with his a few times.

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know Firsat you Sell the walker and Buy a Red dog pup :D....LoL j/m

Cage coon Tie slip a piece of nylon cord around the coons back leg show it to the dog and let the dog run up the tree....Keeep doing it with the coon every day hunt the dog with other dogs that ca run a tree.Make sure the dogs aren't mean or you will ruin your dog. Coon skins in small trees so he gets the idea.

9. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    get a roll cage trap(be sure to check trapping laws)a coon put in the roll cage let the dog play with it for a couple of hours for 2 days be sure to feed (dogfood)and water the coon. then walk the coon through the woods without your dog knowing and let him tap some trees then turn him free and then go get the dog. you can walk the coon with one of those metal poles with the cable loop on the end same as dog catchers use. try this several times and this might help. get a nite lite magazine they have lots of traing stuff you can order. you can order the catalog at http://www.huntsmart.com.

10. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    some great advise here! but one thing ya could do is get her out with an older treeing dog,your dog will sonn start to copy what the other dog is doing and eventually start picking it up. but ya need to watch out,my dogs are very aggressive on the tree,they wont let strange dogs get near a tree they are on and alot of times when im hunting my dogs with other dogs they wont bark on a trail,to try and confuse the other dogs,they will slick tree and take off and get on a live tree while the othe dogs are occupied with the slick tree. a good dog will pick up on this and wont fall for it but a young dog will fall for it every time. just need to find a dog that will get out and do its own thing and doesnt mind other dogs around. good luck with your dog...lots of great memories to be made for sure.

11. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    every one gave some good advice. getting in the woods and spending plenty of time traing is the key.

Warrior nice to see a regular from the other boards on this site as well.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

best advice i can give a coon hunter is. if you find someones trap out in the woods leave it alone.dog hunters more and more think its ok to ruin a trap or take the animal in it. when you are out running your dog beware there may be traps out there and if you dog gets in one its your fault not the trappers.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if your not going to be hunting in regestered coon hunts it would be easier to get a 2 year old dog treeing squirels.these you can hunt in the day time and your son can see what is going on a lot better.plus letting him shoot a few will teach him about guns and you can teach him gun saftey.when the dog is treeing squirels regular just take her at nite she should tree coons.