Coon heads?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gibbzilla, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I was walkin along the bank of Lake o' the Pines, disgusted that I hadn't brought my fishin pole with me, and I saw an old black man fishin with some sort of mammal head. I sat down on the bank about 20 foot from him, and he eventually invited me over ta drink some Big Red with him. :lol:
    Finally I asked him what he was fishin with, and he said, "baby coon heads." With a look of shock on my face, I asked him if he had luck with them, and he said he's caught blues all his life on em. So, has anyone ever heard of usin baby coon heads?

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thats a first for me , but I believe if the conditions are right a cat will bite on about anything.
    Brian

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Never heard that one either. I have heard of one guy who stopped and picked up a fresh-killed possum and cut it up for baiting a trotline. Said the lines were full when he ran them.

But baby coon heads? I'm not a PETA puke by any means but that's kinda a bummer to think about. They are kinda cool critters.

4. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well in all irony i have a coon for a pet, had misfet sence she was a baby, But im not gonna cut her up for catfish bait but if i see some road kill my little gears in my head my start turning

5. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Should wait till they get bigger then you could have Bar-B-Q coon for lunch,and just use their brain then maybe have a fish fry for dinner.:big_smile:

6. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like the best plan to me.

I don't know of anyplace where coons are in season while their pups are little, most critters aren't in season while their young are small enough to need thier mother's care. But it does give me thoughts of winter when lots of critters are in season and more usual baits are harder to come by. I guess a lot of animale parts would make bait.

7. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've never done it but i know a guy that uses road kill mainly squirrels