Coon Cuff Trap ....

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have read all of the hype put out by companies that are wanting to sell the "Coon Cuff" & "Little Griz" type traps, but haven't really seen any articles by trappers saying that they work in the field. Has anyone had any luck either good or bad using them? I am thinking about getting a couple to try. If anyone has a couple to sell at a good price ... I might be interested. ... Garry-

2. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I am also wanting to get some as I have some ground that gets some bird hunting done on it and I don't want to catch any dogs.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeah they work good. but i think the main reason you dont hear about trappers talking about them (at least the serious ones) is because of cost there is no way i could go out and by 150 of these things to run a good coon line.and after useing some i still feel that foot holds will out preform them hands down maybe there good for the trapper with a dog issue but not for the long liner besides coon sized foot holds dont tear up a dogs foot get one caught just release it and go

4. trapperray

trapperray New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :big_smile:Gary, I use some coon cuffs and like them in certian situations. If you'd like to get a couple drop me a line and maybe I can help you out, later Ray.

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You are right about buying 150 of them let alone a dozen .... but the area I live in house housing developments everywhere .... one place I will be trapping is a golf course and they have a coon problem (yippee), but they don't want me to use steel traps because they are almost surrounded by houses .... so I have several live traps but thought the coon cuffs would also be a big asset. Thanks for your input .... Garry-

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I tried the coon cuffs several years ago and had poor results. Caught a few coon, but had foot damage on some and multiple thrown traps.

Now the lil grizz are a totally different story. Best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. The speed of setups are great. Absolutely zero misses on coon. Well designed and well built trap that can't be torn up during normal use. 100% dog proof.(the trigger must be pulled instead of pushed) No leg or foot damage. Opens up tons of areas to trap that are difficult to set up with footholds. Also will gain you some property because of being dog proof. Remakes are super quick. I could go on and on.......

$20 for the grizz is money well spent if your going for coon numbers. If your just going to catch a few, and you've only got limited time and areas, they may not be for you.

As far as "footholds will out perform them hands down" that is definately not the case. Takes about 10 seconds to bait, set, position, and stake. This trap cannot be beat for taking coon in numbers.

And no.....I ain't got none I'm willing to part with!:big_smile:

All the trapping supply houses are sold out. If you want some, contact Minnesota Trapline and get on the waiting list. They are receiving traps everyday. They are just trying to catch up on backorders.

Good luck with the upcomming season!

7. trapperray

trapperray New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary, due to the fact that I'm a newbie,I'm unable to pm you, so if you want to give me a shout at rjmeyer@cfu.net, I'll see what I can do to be of some assistiance, later Ray. :big_smile:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Eric ... Thanks for the info on the Grizz ... in reading about it ... it says you need a special tool to set it ... do most people use a tool or is it just an easier way of doing it? .... Garry-

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

in situations like that they would be a good choice.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i would take my foot holds over them any day. it dont take much longer than that to bed a trap bait and move on.the price of them is what kills me. i couldnt own any where near what i would need of them to run a line.the only real use they have is situations like that have been mentioned above. over than that ,there just not cost affective for me.

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Gary, the setters are only a few bucks and they will really save your hands. I can set them with my hands, but after a couple dozen, your feeling it. A screw driver will also work just as good as the setting tool.

One thing I forgot to mention, they will catch cats. If your in a neighborhood using them, stay away from meat or fish baits. Just plain old Wal-mart brand grape jelly is about as good as it gets. Coons and possums love that stuff, and I have never seen cats interested in it. Oh yeah......did I mention skunks:eek:oooh: It will catch them darn thangs too.

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Tom, I've ran into a lot of situations on my line where a foot hold is just about imposible to set. I use to set a lot of 220 bucket cubbies, but they are also time consuming.

Clean muddy banks on falling water on my river line is one example. Coon tracks everywhere, but not a stick, leaf, or piece of grass within 20 feet. A baited water set may be 10 feet from the water the next morning due to falling water.

Rocks dikes are another great place for these. I've made some holders out of 2x4's for them in this situation. Absolutely no way to bed a foothold for a hundred yards.

And there is no way that I can dig a dirthole, make a trap bed, sift dirt over the set, lure or bait it, stake it down, and be through in under a few minutes. I could have a half dozen grizz in the ground before I could have one good dirthole finished.

I'm deffinately not knocking footholds, they still play a big part in my line. But I only use them in the water now. But, if you ever try them lil grizz, I can guarantee you'll like them.

13. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just had a friend make some of these traps the other day. They look like the store bought trap, only about a third of the price. It takes him about 45 min to make each trap. But time is cheep:smile2: