cooler temps

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigpapa15206, Oct 6, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Now that the temps are cooling down, should i start taking a different approach? like fish deeper or more daylight hours? What should i change?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    As far as channels are concerned they will just generally become more active. As the water gets colder they will be on a constant quest for food. They know whats comein. LOL! I find that fishin from mid October into December are some of my most productive times with alot less effort.

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I wouldn't change anything. You already know, the flats will come into the shallows at night to hunt baitfish. Good Luck Fishin!

4. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    yeah but it gets alot colder at night, so will they still come shallow at night?

5. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Yes, it doesn't matter how cold it gets the flats will come to feed where the baitfish are. ;) You'll have one out there and then WAM!!! There's your big flattie. Hey, I like the new profile pic :cool:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here the baitfish move shallow into the backs of creeks, and this means the cats will follow. This should hold true while temps are in the 60's and 70's. Of course I am in NC, so if you are in the north forget my advice because I know NOTHING about fishing up there!! :)

7. danyelle

danyelle New Member

october is one of the best months of the year to fish for catfish. they will still come into the shallows at night to feed

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A quick update to your question.

I fished yesterday in the rain. Our lake temps are down to 80 degrees from 93 a few weeks ago. I caught eleven Channel cats that ranges from 4-7 pounds. All were in water no deeper than ten feet and as shallow as 3-4 feet. All were 3/4 of the way up creek coves on the lake.

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    The fall transistion period is always good for cats, as temps start dropping they start feeding. Until winter, then they slow down significantly. During the winter monthes when the temps are cold, move around. Cats are still feeding, but they are less active and less likely to travel to look for food, so bring the bait to them.

My method is simple cast my baits out and let them sit for 15-20 mins. Then cast in and move them. I may not move them much, but 20-30 feet. I contunue doing this until I find fish. i will move locations often too. I will also change depthes at which I am fishing and baits.

I have caught winter cats at 100ft of water and at 7ft of water.

-Brian

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    The cooler the water gets the less flatheads roam.I don't know how far into the fall and winter you fish ,but if you fish on into the winter,yeah you'll need to change.Blues and flatheads bought feed different.They're also in different locations.I fish deeper for both.I'm catching my flatheads now in 35-40 feet of water,and I'll catch them like that till spring.

11. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I know channesl seem to stack themselves up in a hole during the winter.Usually if i get one out of a hole a dozen or more are right in there with 'em.
    Right now i think the same tactics thats been working for you during the summer will still get the job done.They are very active now and fattening themselves up for winter,I wouldn't change a trhing until you go out a couple times and the summer tactics stop paying off.
    Then its time to find what hole they are hiding in.If your on a boat with a depth/fish finder should be pretty easy to lacate them.

12. crazy_crappie88

crazy_crappie88 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    I dont do much winter catfishin ,but i believe that they definitely move 2 deeper water when the water temp goes down.

13. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Fishing report, we fished lake of the ozarks at rocky mount south of Eldon over the weekend. Water was still warm at 73 caught four slab crappie ten to twelve. The cats wouldn't even lick the bait. Crawlers boo-gill heads and whole fish. Tried out the new jugs and pulled up warm bait even in thirty feet of water. The crawfish trap caught nothing. So put on the worms and waited about five hours then bam! jerked about thirty boo-gill in twenty minutes. Thank you for dinner at last, those and the crappie made a nice pile. The white bass are starting to scho0oOl also. I have to get ready to drop everything when the phone rings!