Cooler of bait.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Nightprowler, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Me and Dink went bait hunting yesterday and we got between 6-7 dozen pieces and a nice little snack for Dink.(Smallie on a stick)What kind of live bait do you guys use.Heres a picture of ours.

Attached Files:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dude, not the pic with the smallie! im gonna catch hell now:sad2:

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Smallie and some rock bass, yeah, Mark will be all over you for that. Which hole and what time should I meet you guys. :smile2:

I went out last night, I caught 5 flats all under 5 pounds and one channel pushing ten pounds. All my bites were before midnight, most between 10 and 11. Between 12am and 3am i got no bites and decided to take off.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, that is the Dink I know. hehehe

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, I too have been known to use "Questionable" live bait......

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is some more.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys have some nice bait there, but I will take a fresh piece of cut shad anyday over those, for flats and channels.:big_smile:

8. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the sucker looks great, id take em even bigger. has anyone ever caught anything on a saugeye???

9. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Ilike to use shad or gills...I usually get em with a cast net.

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok man, you knew it was coming, I mean, heck, you enjoy fishing smallies and small streams and even bitch when you know someone has cleaned out a stream, so what gives? you got 75 bluegills there so why keep the smallie? and heck for that matter, us stream fishermen love catching longears ( Pumpkinseeds) and rock bass so if your smart, youll use selective harvest on them, taking the smaller guys and leaving the spawners to keep spawning.
    Im sure you know that a 10" Ohio smallie is 5 or 6 years old and hasnt even spawned yet, right?? Makes those 16+ inchers a rare treat!! You know I was gonna grief you all the while wishing you a great night out:wink:

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday Dink!!!

Oh yeah, after the beating I took tonight, all the bait in the world wouldnt have helped you catch any where I was..:angry:

Salmonid

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, if it swims I'll put a hook in it; Gills, Pumpkinseeds, Greenears, Suckers, Shad, Chubs, Smallies, Largemouth, Walleyes, Saugeyes, Sheephead, Channel Cats, Bullheads, Baby Ducks, Baby Geese, Crappie, Shiners, Rockbass, etc......

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've been catching monster flatheads off of small 12" channel cats....trim their pectoral spines and their dorsal spine up and toss them out....Caught a 41 # friday night.....will have pics but it was like picture number 10 on my disposable camera....so it might be a little while.........Please forgive me....I paid 9$ to fish the lake i was at......but please understand I live in suburban Atlanta and to catch a flat in their native enviroment i would have to drive atleast 2 hours to unfamiliar waters.......

13. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Beautiful, just what I was expecting!!! You guys know better than posting pictures, you were just trying to get him fired up. Way to go.

Oh, and where did all those come from. I thought I had all the bait places down in the dayton area. We're you off the LMR. You don't have to answer that. It is a very good looking bucket though. I hope you guys come up with some fish tonight!!!

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tonight was sorry! got a 7lb channel on a live sma.....i mean a 'gill:roll_eyes: , and mike lost a dink at the bank. it was a perfect night to fish but it was extremely dead! the thing about fishing a full moon period is that they are either on or off.....tonight they were definately off!

15. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion, they were off last night too. Besides for the couple hours the barometric pressure was moving up. 10- 12 pm.

I'm tired of wading through these five pounders and I have a whole lifetime ahead of me.

16. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    bullheads and rock perch for me goldfish on occasion

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you really want to get Mark fired up, use a gar for bait!

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gar make for great fertalizer for the weeds and brush around your fishing spot:roll_eyes:

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too went out last night and agree w/ you guys. I ended up wading the Mad River hoping for some Flats or Channels that got in there via Rainbow Lakes Pay Ponds. I didn't catch any cats & man...... I was using prime bait too.:sad2: I ended up catching a couple dozen live Mad River Trout (Rainbows & Browns) to fish with since the gills were not hitting. All Trout were between 5-10 inches. Oh well, I had some bait (trout) so I ended up giving them to some guys tha I saw heading towards the pay pond. I think I was prob killing the trout as soon as I put them on my 15/0 Gama Wild River hook, but who knows, I mean that river fo lousy w/ those good for nothing stunted trout. Someone needs to really thin them out.

Oh yea, I did catch alot of carp, but of corse those ended up on the bank to die and give the coons something to eat.

Mark,

:0a26: :hell_boy: :byebye: :big_smile_2: :haha: :0a33:

20. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, trout are easily replacable from the state and that far down the Mad River, wont live through the summer so its ok to take those, ( it was a good try though) :tounge_out: now on the other hand, A few things that set me off is folks talking about my dogs, the wife and GAR!!!!!!:big_smile:

Jack, Dink, you just remember a few of my post from the old board dont ya?? I can feel the burning in my back every time you guys use a native gamefish for bait, so get your digs in and twist it a little harder to the right......:wink:

Now Im starting to understand why I cant catch anything in the local creeks, too many cat guys around.....and we do know this area is infested ( Like fleas eh Mike) with cat guys, just a quick look at the member map will tell you why its so hard to get quality fish around here.

Its a good thing I know you guys are just trying to get my goat and that you released all those fish in the cooler after the picture anyways....:wink:

Seems like the next time you guys go out, all you need is 2-3 bluegills for an evening worth of fishing around here.....Which is sad isnt it?

Salmonid