cooler/livewell/bait tank help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Apr 24, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If i wanted to keep my fish alive so they wouldnt spoil by the time i got home could i use an aerator in a cooler to do that? I dont know anything about pumps or aerators and things like that,ive seen some in the library but i was looking for just something simple but effective.can anyone help?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats what I do..Though I usually only use it to hold bream for bait..

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Walmart sells a decent low priced aerator. It's called Mr. bubbles. Or a Bubble box. I use them every year. I like to use several 5 gallon buckets for my bait, instead of just one. If you have a truck, you could get a plastic drum Preferable white or blue. I think the blue would stay cooler But I'm not sure. Fill it halfway or better and use an aerator they would stay alive for a really long time.

4. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    thanks guys but do you think it would keep the fish i caught alive until i got home?I dont want my fish to spoil before i get home,sometimes i have to drive a bit to get home depending on where i fish.

5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Sure It'll work..I've used a 90 qt icechest with a Mr. Bubbles and kept bream,cats crappie and bass for hours in it..

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If that don't work,,,ICE will. If i'm keepin fish i usually put them on ice to prevent them from breaking the spray bar in my bait well. They'll usually get still after a few minutes in ice water.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    put them in ice. on ofshore adventures they say their fish are best when they gut and gill them then pack them in ice overnight before they fillet them.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ah you beat me to it darn kids. guess i need to get them heading to bed.

9. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    You would probably be better off just throwing them on ice in the cooler. Even in my 100 gallon live well fish become stressed, all kinds of acids begin to saturate the muscles (lactic,aminos,ect.), not to mention that they will be swimming in their own puke and waste. If you want the absolute freshest table fare, when you catch them puncture their skull with a knife to euthanize and immoblize, then gut them and pack the cavity with ice. This is probably overkill reserved for more high priced fish, so just chunk them on ice and enjoy the fishing. Oh yea, Don't keep bait fish and eaters in the same tank, ammonia build up will kill your bait and spoil the meat.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I learned the hard way that having alot of fish in a livewell, even if they are alive, can make the meat taste bad.
    If I am after fish for the table, I will take a big cooler, fill it halfway with ice and toss my fish in it. I also keep another big cooler in my truck filled with ice incase I need more than one cooler (especially on lakes with whitebass) Fish taste much better to me if they are iced until the fillet knife.

11. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I would've said ice too but he was asking about aerators in coolers..If I'm catching fish to eat(which is rare) I'm putting them on ice..I only used ice chest and aerator for my bait and to transport some fish into the pond and my buds place..It always seems to keep them alive and well enough to serve my purpose..

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    You guys are great as usual,that was a huge help.I learned several defferent ways to keep my bait and catch fresh.Thanks everyone your the best.