Cooler and Rod Holders-Killing two birds with one stone!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Jun 14, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Recently my dad and I have rigged up our cooler to better suit our needs.:big_smile: We attached some rod holders to it using "bungee" cords. We got the rod holders that go on the front of trucks and stuff, mostly used by surf fisherman. It works great somewhere that the ground is to hard to put our other rod holders in, like a rocky area. As long as you have some bait and ice or something with some weight in the cooler it will do fine, however we use clickers, never tried "Tightlining" with it. I've found it also comes in handy when we're on the boat, we can put some extra poles in it while we're riding or fishing, so there not cluttering up the boat more. We also put our landing net in it while fishing so it's easy to get to when we get a big one near the boat. One of the coolest things is, you can put it in the back of your boat if you're trolling, we troll a lot for Striper's and stuff.

You need like 2-3 bungee cords for it to work right, I'm sure the idea could be modified a lot better, but so far it has worked fine, and we've been using it for about a year now. We just ran the bungee cords around the rod holders and then through the handles, secures just fine.

Here are a few pictures, the last picture is of one of the rod holders we used, except it has only 3 holders and ours has 4, we were given ours for free. Bass Pro sells the 3 holder ones for only $10.

Also, any ideas you might have that could possibly improve it are welcomed.

Tight lines,

Zakk

Attached Files:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Looks Good brother, A+ for being an inventor.

Only thing is that I usualy dont have 4 poles that close, but good luck with it.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, a lot of times if we use all 4 holders, we throw the poles out in different areas. The best use seems to be storing the poles and net while in the boat though.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah i want to get something like that to put my poles and net in when i move spots...

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    COOL idea for cooler duo use. I bolted a 8 inch long piece of 1 1/4 " pvc pipe to each side ofa 5 gal bucket at about a 70 degree angle . they make good rod holders and tackle totes. with a woodtop for a seat. When 1/2 filled with water they don't tip over whin fish bite.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, that's a great idea, could be very useful! Also I like to cut a bunch of slits around the top of the bukcet to put my hooks on.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a really good idea,I think I'll try to rig up something similar to make my life a lil easier.

8. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Great idea there! I guess the only problem you would have is if all four rods bend at the same time. But would that really be a problem? :roll_eyes:

9. busadave

busadave New Member

State:
    ky
    looks pretty nice

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

nice and once agian the BOC comes up with another honey of an idea

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Glad you guys like the idea.

12. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just turn the cooler sideways and sick the rod through the handle. Works great.:cool2:

13. catdog

catdog New Member

State:
    tennessee
    nice setup i need one of those

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    By the look of the background in the picture I believe you are going to need a much bigger cooler. LOL Good Idea.

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Very cool, the boat store in my area has one of those kinda setups, but the cooler is smallish and it costs $55 dollars. I thought of making one of those when I go pier fishing :eek:oooh: .

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Good idea Zakk! You have the same problem I got, not enough fishing rods and reels LOL:smile2:

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if you want another way to hold them in place rivet the holder to the cooler

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Not a badd looking idea at all!

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    good idea. i think someone here has the same kinda setup posted in the library, but he bolted his on the cooler.