Coolant flush and fill?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by bootshowl, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The shops round here want a $100 bill for a coolant system service. What did I miss while I was taking a nap? Can I not do a "closed system" myself as we used to. It's a Ford F150, 4.2 liter, six banger, and appears to have a stop-cock on the bottom of the radiator....can't I just run a cleaner thru it, and drain and fill it myself? What am I missing? The antifreeze is gonna run me bout $32.
    I feel like I'm not understanding something.
    :embarassed:

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where will you dispose of the 8 gallons of watered down chemical waste when your done? And how much is labor for an hours worth of work in your neck of the woods?

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Have a place to take it, part of my county fees. Also the wrench doing the job would be lucky to be making $11 an hour around here. The shops are making the money.....

But original question is; it is do-able isn't it? On a closed system I'll just be working from the reservoir tank & cap, instead of the the older fashioned radiator cap?

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes, it's doable. What I like to do if I'm doing it at a remote location is to take off the radiator hose coming from the engine to the radiator, and put a catch pan under it. Use hot water if possible. Put a hose in the resivoir and let it overflow gently while the engine is running. when the thermostat cycles the dirty water will go into a pan and not back into the radiator. Fresh water is pulled from the radiator when the thermostat cycles. to finish it up drain the radiator, put your hoses back on and add antifreeze. Don't use the premixed stuff, with the remaining water thats in the engine it will be too weak. Use the dilutable stuff and use it straight. the water left in the engine should be close to the capacity of the radiator. resulting in a 50/50 mix when your done.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You forgetting shop labor?
    I know I pay less for car repairs then people do in places like Raleigh but I'm still paying 50 bucks labor an hour.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Lucky you. Around here its at least 80 an hour.

They are also probably marking up the price of the antifreeze...just like any other retailer does.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bring it to N-tune auto in Georgetown IL. I'll beat anyone's pricing by $10.00 :wink:

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Around here, it's over $100.00 @ the dealerships, I charge $75.00 per hr.

BUT back to the original question,YES, it is doable. Remember to use a compatible coolant, to what's in there now. Even after you flush the system, there is still residue, that may not be chemically compatible (Sludge):embarassed:

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Remembering the old first aid slogan, "Do no harm." and after getting quotes anywhere from $120 to $200, and also reading up that there's really no way to get all the douche out the system anyway no matter what you do; and also there was a huge debate over "is it a good idea to chem flush an older vehicle", I decided to heck with it.
    I syphened the reservoir, and drained the radiator, and put in a lil over 2 gallons of new coolant. I figure that's bout 40% of what she'll hold, and maybe closer to 50% of what Mr. High Dollar could would get out of her. No harm, no foul. The hoses were pliable with no cracking in evidence.
    :wink:
    I just ain't gonna pay that, or get any $40 dollar oil changes either.

I can see my Dr. for 15 minutes for $75. He'll make me bend over, but it will be for a decent reason.