Cool water channels

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by maddcatter, Oct 8, 2005.

1. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Does anyone have any good tips for finding cool water channels in a lake or river. Any info is appreciated.

2. tubbycat

tubbycat New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    In ponds i go for the deepest hole, and i hear that the front of the deepest hole in a strech of river is where the active ones will be in cold water. Never been cold watever fishing on the river though, at least not with any luck haha i've been once

3. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    Maddcatter,
    It has been my experience that the fall cool down period is almost like the spring warm up in reverse.. Go to the back bays that will hold the most heat and that's where you will find the channel cats. You will also find alot of shad too. The North side of Buckeye lake like Maple bay will be a hot spot until the weather really cools down, due 2 the shallow depth and black silt bottom. The only bad part is when all of the lilly pads start to die it seems to drive away the fish. Someone told me that it was because of the plants decaying it use's up more oxygen. I don't know if that is true or by that time the water is cold enough that the cat's and shad are out in deeper water....

Catfish Huntr

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    is that pic in your profile from buckeye lake??? if so that must be a buckeye lake record.........lmao

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Catfish Huntr,
    Thanks for that info. I really might have to try that.

6. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    BassMassey, sorry for the late reaponse, it's been rough at work.. :cursing: I wish we had those in Buckeye, but that Blue cam eout of the James River east of Richmond. I posted some pictures in the photo section of my son and I doing a Birthday fishing trip. Last time I was there we caught 14 Blues for 497 lbs. Not bad for a day of fishing! :D The James is one of my favorite places to fish for blue cats. Now I need to get better with the flats.......
    Hope to hook up with yall and fish sometime....

Catfish Huntr

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    there's some great spots not too far from Millersport.......Muskingum river, and one of my favs.......Dillon spillway.....i moved down here to Georgia and am missing it very much.....