Cooking what ya catch

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by fridaybocopw, Jan 29, 2010.

1. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sitting here bouncing around the site and noticed that I didnt see a cooking section. Might be one that I missed but thought it might be interesting to start a thread about it. We always do the fried fish with the fried taters thing. Anybody do anything out of the ordinary or a little different when they cook fish? I used to work at a catfish resturant and we had a blackened filet that was amazing. Used blackening spice, which I dont know if you can buy somewhere or have to be in the food service to get it, and covered the filet with that and put it in a covered skillet. Served with mango salsa, yummy! Thanks for any input.

2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I was just on you tube looking for recipes!

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I have been pondering using BBQ sauce on my fish prior to cooking it. I like catfish , but eating an excessive amount of fried foods isn't healthy. I may attempt to blacken a fish I have this weekend. I'll have to get a cast iron skillet at least 24'' in diameter , but I'm convinced it'll turn out well.

Hopefully nothing like the pancakes I ruined yesterday morning after work.

4. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best food comes out of cast iron once you learn to cook in it. Good luck on the blackening.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Do you have to turn the heat up high on it? I've never used one before.
    Also , are they better for use over flame as opposed to elements?

6. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i used a broiler and never tried it in a home kitchen. id say though either heat source would work and id try it around medium. use some pam and spray your skillet. when covered your more actually steaming the fish so you might have to put a little extra water in with it as it cooks. also if your not familiar with cast iron cook ware NEVER NEVER wash it with soap. next time you use it your food will taste like dawn. clean it with hot water and whipe it clean with a paper towel. hope this helps. let me know how it turns out.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    cast iron skillets are neat to cook with, but they take learning.... you will burn what your cooking in a hurry if you aren't careful... they dont adjust to your heat quickly so you have to kinda start out where you want to be. if you start on "WildCat" you will be ruined before you can get the skillet cooled back down.

I like cooking all kinda fish on the grill. with a lil lemon pepper or as min was saying with some BBQ is good also... haha

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Go down on the main Forum page to the “MEMBER SPECIAL TOPICS FORUMS” section and look for “The BOC Diner” as well as “Chef Steve”… You find plenty of catfish recipes as well as some awesome blackened recipes.
    I’ve been grilling mine the last few years, just marinade them for 3 to 4 hours in Italian Dressing, sprinkle with a little spice then grill… I’ll baste a little melted butter over the fillets the last minute… grilling will present a learning curve but the results are awesome... I use cast iron for sand bar cooking… come on warm weather.

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's what I do and it always tastes great. I soak my fillets in raw egg for a few minutes and then roll them in Zatarains crispy southern mix. I use a skillet and pan fry the fillets until golden brown. Easier than deep frying and the grease doesn't go bad as fast. Chris

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I asked the same thing over on the nebraska forum.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yuppers,the diner is where its at,also we have a members cookbook,check em out.

12. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    Heat your cast iron skillet until it is white hot. This should be done outside.
    Dip your fillets in melted butter, then sprinkle with your blackening seasonings and Tony's Creole Seasoning. Place in the super hot cast iron skillet about 2 minutes on each side. Caution::: This will create alot of smoke:::

13. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    cast iron skillets are great,but until it gets seasoned there is no advantage over any other skillet.it takes years to get a skillet seasoned right.when not using it,let bacon grease stand in it.this will help the process.i have one i've been using for about 5 yrs and its just getting right.just my .02 worth

14. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like mine soaked in a little bit of Franks Hot Sauce for about an hour and then floured in my blend of spices and then into the fryer. I can't wait for spring!!

15. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan did you try smoking the "Ciscoes"

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not, Doug. Since the "cisco" bite was slow in CC last time we were there I donated my catch to the folks heading down to Wheeler. I WILL try this out sometime though.

On the smoker news front I did finish my trashcan smoker and am putting it to the test today. I'm smoking four pork tenderloins with a sweet dry rub. I'll post pictures of the apparatus this afternoon.

17. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i blackened some trout once. wrapped it in foil and left it on the grill a little too long and it was black...and stuck to the foil:laugh1:. i like mine fried the best, but anymore it gives me heart burn real bad when i eat it

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A couple of weeks ago, I had some flounder thawed out to fry, and when I looked in the cupboard...I had no fish fry or any cornmeal. SO...I took a box of Oven Fry (Shake & Bake basically), mixed it with plain bread crumbs, sprinkled in a little bit of Cookie's seasoning salt, and fried the fish in my cast iron skillet. Turned out awesome, and I can't wait to try it on catfish.

19. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pork shake and bake used with spoonbill steak is awsome in the oven. Also for a lil somthen somthen grind crackers to crumbs, egg drege 1/4 inch fish fillets and coat in cracker crumbs ( best choice saltines seem to be the best ritz crakers work awsome with gill fillets ) pan fry in olive oil and serv ala sammich. Wink
    lol ya draggen secrets out of me

20. Greenedog

Greenedog New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dang man, that sounds good. I'll have to give it a try. I usually just deep fry with Andy's Red breading.