Cooking over a fire vs. gas grill?

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by boswifedeb, May 12, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Just wondering how many of y'all prefer cooking over an open fire as opposed to cooking on a gas grill when camping? We usually cook over an open fire, but revived a small gas grill on our last outing and used it quite a bit. What does everyone else do?
    Deb

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    we dont camp,But if we did It would be gas. no question. wood is romantic ,but here no open ,or charcoal allowed due to drought and very high wind. at any rate I have a gas smoker and a charcoal grill ,I cook on the smoker more than the grill cause its faster .

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to use both. But you can't beat a rack of chicken over an open fire:big_smile:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive never cooked on a gas grill while camping. I do like to use wood chips either way, just gives it that flavor.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Neither, I sit around a campfire a lot, but when I start to get hungry, I make my rounds to all the other campers who will invariably invite me to sit an have a meal with them. :crazy:
    I remember one time at a Illinois Gathering, Catstock, I went the entire 3 days without cooking a thing. LOL Whistlers wife Joann, always gets up even earlier than I do, so she can have coffee ready by the time I walk by with an empty cup in my hand and this look on my face.

Attached Files:

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Gas is much more convenient, but If I am out, I am out to leave that kind of stuff behind.
    Hard to beat real smoke too.
    Nuttin like getting that hickory smoke to roll over into the pan with the sizzling bacon in the morning.:big_smile:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dang Tom, ya sound like a stray dawg wanderin around with a hungry look. I may attempt this this weekend.:big_smile:

No, actually i love to cook and use both wood and gas, depending on weather conditions an wind.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't own a gas grill so I use the fire. For me the fire gives me a total camping feeling. I actually enjoy gathering and splitting the wood. Cooking some steaks on a open fire ...ya cant beat it ; )

If I did have a gas grill I would still bring it just in case or even use it for heating up veggies or early coffee, that way I aint gotta wait for the fire to kick back up.

-Jim-

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    My problem is, if I start a fire, guaranteed somebody will come around and make some comment about my pitiful fire and start throwing logs on it till it's a bonfire. Never understood why so few folks like a small fire, just barely lit.

Back 45 years or so ago, I used to take walks back in the woods, sometimes not making it home before dark and had to spend the night out there. I'd pile up some leaves, make a fire, an settle in for the night. I found the best fire was small enough to fit entirely in the cup of my hand. I was around 9 or 10 years old at the time. My parents never worried, they knew I could take care of myself. Hard to picture that happening these days.

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i grew up learning to cook over a fire. now days, here in west, try finding places where you can even have a fire. few and far between. today in yuma az, the fire dept was out checking the conditions. told me that they were about ready to post no fires again. means stoves or gas grills only. but nothing like the old black cast iron frying pans, dutch ovens, either over a open fire or buried under them for the best meals made in gods green earth.
    gary

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use both. i like cooking over an open fire with sassafrass. i have a small bbq grill i like to use to bake potatoes in. i have a coleman 2 burner propane stove i really liked until this past thanksgining. we went camping/trout fishing and it was cold. 20's for high's teen's for lows. my propane stove would run but about the time the skillet got hot the propane feeding tube would ice up and the stove would burn out. i'll still use propane in the summer but i am going to buy myself a new dual fuel 3 burner before next winter.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    when im camping its fire or charcoal. dont even take gas.

bacon eggs/ steak/taters fire will do it all. i have plenty of cast to cook on.

only thing i dont like to do on a fire is deep fry. hard to regulate temps. but fish will fry in just a tad of oil. just have to do a few at a time.:wink:

13. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    The reason we resurrected the gas grill was because of the drought conditions that were around here last summer and are likely to be a problem again this summer. We used to use a fire all the time. But when you can't have one, and you want a good hot meal, it sure is nice to have the gas grill. It's called a Keg-a-cue. It's shaped like a small beer keg, about 20" by 10" with a lid. It uses the small propane bottles and is very light and easy to use. I love cooking on an open fire, but when they aren't allowed, you gotta do something.:eek:oooh: I impressed my husband last year when we were camping. I forgot to bring my burger flipper and substituted his machete instead. Nobody argued with the cook THAT day!:wink::big_smile:
    Deb

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i take a turkey frier to gatherings. nice once in a while. sundays especially. then ya dont need to stoke the fire to eat while packing up. some go to mc ds. not me.

15. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I am all about the open fire and cast iron!!!

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    for me it's all about the flavor. charcoal at home and wood when camping! i like using wood chips too with the charcoal. hickory, cherry, apple, mesquite, etc.

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Fire.

For me, camping without fire is...well, I'd just as soon stay home.

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer fire but with all the regulations on open fires in public campgrounds, I have to stick with gas.

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just came back from TN. Nephews had their gas grill, works great. I got the 3 burner in the camper, and that microwave/convection oven.:smile2::smile2:

Don't laugh, I picked up a 2500 watt Coleman generator so I had juice for that oven. That darn thing makes the best biscuits for biscuits and gravy. YUM YUM

Seen Little Griz, and he made biscuits in a cast iron dutch oven with charcoal on top and underneath. Boy were they great. That Boy can COOK.

I have used the fire to set a pot of dry beans, ham, garlic and onions on, then went fishing all day. Man were those beans good. Just slow cooked all day.

I think all food tastes better when cooked and ate outside. Gas stove, gas grill, or wood fire, or charcoal. It's all GOOD.

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    It won't work...not if I'm there. You can forget the looking pitiful :wink:

Yes we use both. I use the gas grill when I grill but John still likes both.