Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Cooking HOG

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  LureheadEd 
G
#1 ·
How do you cook a hog? Going hunting later in the year and hopefully will kill one.

#3 ·
The absolute best way to **** any large quantities of meat in in the ground. Dig a hole the size ya want ,about 4 ft deep,fill with hardwood and light. ,after you have a nice bed of coals ,dip out some coals ,place the cheesecloth and burlap wrapped chunks on the coals. place a sheet of tin over the top . Cover with a layer of coals and a good amount of dirt to seal the heat in,then simply walk away for about 8-12 hrs,when you uncover your prize ,you won't ever want to eat bbq any other way.

#4 ·
Richard is right on. We used to do this 3 or 4 times a year and I guess old age
has gotten to me as I have not done it in several years now. I have a lot of Mexican-American friends that have me over a couple of times a years for goat or antelope cooked that way. We always done beef and pork in my family. I have been to big cookouts where they kill a whole hog and fry it in batches in the huge old cast iron wash-pots that was used years ago. This is mostly a Mexican-American thing around here. Always seem that both ways are good but I usually have at least a 6
pack by the time we eat because this is a drawn out affair lasting around 5 or 6 hours at least and my hat would probably taste good by that time.

#6 ·
The absolute best way to **** any large quantities of meat in in the ground. Dig a hole the size ya want ,about 4 ft deep,fill with hardwood and light. ,after you have a nice bed of coals ,dip out some coals ,place the cheesecloth and burlap wrapped chunks on the coals. place a sheet of tin over the top . Cover with a layer of coals and a good amount of dirt to seal the heat in,then simply walk away for about 8-12 hrs,when you uncover your prize ,you won't ever want to eat bbq any other way.
Richard you nailed that one on the head ,We do something real close to that and you will never taste a better hog than when it's cooked under ground for 10-12 hour's..The meat just shread's it self apart when you go to pick a piece for the dinner plate and the taste is OUT STANDING:roll_eyes:

#9 ·
#10 ·
Brother THAT IS HOW YA DO IT!!!!:eek:oooh::wink::eek:oooh::crazy: I was taught by my Grandfather and I havn't done that in a while!! The only thing is that we would do suckling pigs no more than 12# and you want to talk about tender THAT WAS HEAVEN!!! My family roots (my Grandparents) come from Spain!:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.