cooking duck

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by catoon, Dec 24, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    my freind gave me 4 ducks he killed been clean to breast how is a good way to prepare them

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rich,Try looking in the BOC member cookbook ,Might be a few there I think I remember seeing some for roast duck and gumbo. I used to season with whatever I liked and bag em in a oven bag and roast them,I also would brown and place a breast in the crockpot with a can of cream of chicken and a can of mushroom soup and cook all day on low.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    catoon there is only one i will eat duck! I will marinade the duck in italian dressing for at least 2 hours.

you will need: jalepeno peppers, bacon, toothpicks and a grill.

dont worry the fire will take the 'hot' taste out of the peppers so that everyone can enjoy them. i have made these for people that cant eat spicy food and they love 'em!

cut the peppers down the center long ways, remove the seeds.
    cut the duck to fit inside the peppers. wrap them with the bacon around the mid-section of the pepper. insert the toothpick to hold in place (remember to soak the toothpicks in water for at least 30 minutes so they dont catch fire on the grill).

cook over medium heat on the grill for about 6-7 minutes while turning them over and there you have it! they are tasty. this will also work in an oven at 350 degress for about 15 minutes.

i served these at a party and even people that did not like wild game were eating them. hope this works for you!

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive always stuffed them with sauerkraut. Than just use your favorite seasonings. I cook them like a turkey in the oven.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah, bacon wrapped with the jalapeno is the only way to fly for waterfowl! only way i do different is i spackle cream cheese inside the halved pepper before it gets wrapped up with the meat. mmmmmm!

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like to breast ducks out and cut them in strips across the grain. Soak them in zesty itialian salad dressing and batter and fry them. If ya like chicken gizzards, duck gizzards ain't bad either. I remember my oldest son coming in from school askin his momma what for supper"deer or duck". I've eat a bunch of them.

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Duck or goose stew works really well too. I cube the breast in 3/4 inch chunks and season them and brown them in hot oil. (not too long, just brown them). Some times I just roll the chunks in Krusteez. Add them into your what ya got stew makings and add a can of cream of celery soup. If it needs more liquid I add chicken stock, works better then just water. Comes out good. Many times I have hade friends think they were eating beef stew.

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I second the duck wrap bacon thing, however I take my duck breasts and slice them width wise down the middle so you have two full size breasts but half thickness, once thats done I place a piece of cheese (colby, pepper jack whatever) on the breast with a slice of jalapeno, roll that up and wrap tight with good bacon and toothpick the sucker...grill till the bacon is crispy done.

Remember whatever you do the more cooked a duck is the worse it will taste, I like mine just under medium rare and it will be the best duck roll you have ever eaten.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree. The only way to eat fowl

10. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I have ate duck at select events before, but I remember it because it tasted so different, not necessarily good. thanks for the ideas though, I would be willing to try it again. the whole duck roasted though seemed a little spongy/ greasy lol.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    put the duck in a pot of water add Bay leaves cerry and salt & pepper boil a hour or so make your favrite corn meal dressing useing the duck stock take meat and thow it to the dogs

12. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    We are in the middle of our late season here now.
    Been doing some of the duck breasts up rolled with colby jack
    cheese and bacon. In the oven at 350 till the bacon is crispy.

Wet

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Get yer black skillet HOT. A little olive oil, a clove or two of garlic, maybe a pat of butter...saute the breasts hot, fast, and rare.

Deglaze the skillet with whatever wine you're drinkin'. Place the breasts on rice, and pour the sop over the top. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Nothin' finer, friends.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Theres a couple different ways i like to cook duck.

#1: Put it in the crock pot with cream of chicken soup and cook on low until moist and tender.

#2: put in an oven bag with burgandy cooking wine, onion soup mix and your choice of seasonings, cook at 350 until done (this is my favorite recipe for whole goose also, as the bag keeps everything moist)

#3: Rub it down good with cajun seasoning, then rap in thick cut bacon and put on the grill. cook with indirect heat for about an hour (or until done) I haven't tried this, but somebody told me this in the goose blind yesterday, and it sounded really good.

Dont overcook your duck, it will get dry quickly (and that's the whole secret to cooking duck and goose)

15. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Coke Cola and soy sauce, equal parts is another great marinade for duck breasts. The trick is to get the blood out of the meat. I have learned to pound the breast halves with a tenderizing mallet,just like I do venison steak. Believe it or not,pounded out and seasoned overnight in your favorite dry seasoning, then put in milk, dusted with flour and chicken fried.. I can hardly tell the difference between duck and venison. It's mighty good cooked that way but.. It is tough to beat the bacon wrapped duck with a sliver of jalapeno inside!! I am off to my duck blind near the house in about 50 minutes, had some great shooting here about 30 miles SE of Dallas. Good Hunting and... cooking! Luke Clayton

16. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia