cooking crappie

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Apache Flats, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Your best way to cook crappie!!!! I grilled my first one ever last weekend in foil with butter and spices. It came out mushy maybe should not have wrapped it in foil.
    :crazy:

2. cumberlandgillman

cumberlandgillman New Member

State:
    KY
    I have broiled and fried mine it great that way....

3. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I cook crappie the same way I cook all of my fish I mix flower salt pepper garlic powder and cajun spice together rool the fish in it and throw it in the deep fryer:big_smile:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    next time you grill it, try the foil closed for a few minutes with indirect heat, then one minute with the foil open direclty overt the heat. i have cooked whole crappie over the fire, and grilled it, but fried is the way to fly!

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Oh, I thought this thread was about my wife's kitchen prowess.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

And I thought it was a dinner invitation. When somebody says "cooking crappie" I'm THERE. AZ might be a bit far for me though :big_smile:.

Anthony, I have to agree with the fellas who've said "fry it". IMO, that's the best way to cook crappie. No matter how you cook it, doesn't take long for it to be done.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up Richard. Sounds like if we ever get invited to your house for dinner, we better make sure you're the one doin' the cooking. :eek:oooh:

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Tuth be told my wife is an excelleny cook. Even when she is not looking over my shoulder.

Richard

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was sitting catching crappie with an older fisherman and we got to talking he gave me crappie recipe.

Filets
    yellow mustard
    buttermilk
    eggs
    cornmeal
    salt
    pepper

get a bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk and some yellow mustard up, in another bowl or bag mix cornmeal salt and pepper. Dip filets in mustard mixture and roll in cornmeal. Deep fry. (I like to drop some Japalenos, canned in vinegar in the oil).

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you can find it in your area Andie's Spicy Fish Breading is the best I've foundn for all fish. Our local Schnuck's Grocery also carries it under their name. If you look under the small print on back it says Andie's.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    mix 1 jar of pace hot picante sauce with an egg. towel dry fillets. then marinate fillets with egg/picante sauce. roll in cornmeal/flour (2parts cormeal 1 part flour) and fry in hot grease.

11. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    roll in house autry and fry..yum

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's what I do too, and it's the best IMO. But, they don't sell House-Autry in Arizona. :sad2:

13. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    either beer batter or i like to crush up bunch of saltines in a big ziplock and add lemon pepper, salt garlik powder cajun seasoning anything that sounds good and shake it all up then cut the fish in small chunks dip in egg and roll in breading. deep fru until golden brown. thats how i doo al my catfish except flatheads (taste too good to deep fry) and have done it with other fish with equal results.

14. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like to take the smaller crappies, and gut, gill, scale them. I cut around the anal fin and remove it, and make to cuts along the dorsal fin about a quarter inch deep. Dip them in an egg mixture, and then roll them in seasoned flour and cornmeal. I then fry them in oil, for just a few minutes. Let them cool a minute, and them pull the dorsal fin out and all the meat should just fall off the bone. A crappie pork chop, is what we call them.

15. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I like em fried with uncle bucks from bass pro shop:smile2:

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    50/50 cornmeal and flour ,spices of your choice and fry till it floats .Thats the way I do all my fried fis,they allways taste great. I also sprinkle lemon pepper on the bigger fillets of catfish and use a bit of fruit wood[cherry,apple,peach ets] to give em a light smoke.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i agree. it needs some open heat to brown to stay firm.:wink:

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you want to grill it, use a couple of wire grilling racks. These hold the fish (or whatever) between two wire sheets. I got mine at Academy Sports for less than $5.00 each. Or you can simply broil them on foil in the oven.

Frying is great. We usually use a coating of flour & cornmeal mixed 50/50, with a bunch of Tony Chachere's seasoning added. Remember to adjust the temperature of the oil to the thickness of the fish you are cooking; you want the fish to get done at the same time the coating turns golden. This means that for thin pieces of fish, you need to have the oil hotter than 375; for thick pieces, you want it lower than 375; 375 is just right for average thickness.
    Like the batter you get at a fish joint? Mix beer (or club soda) with Bisquick to make a batter; thin batter will make a thin crust, while thick batter will make a thick crust (surprise, right?). Do not let the fillets lay out and get dry before rolling them in flour, or it won't stick to the fillet. Coating the fillet with flour before dipping it in the batter will insure that the batter stays on the filled while cooking.

19. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs
    http://www2.kelloggs.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=39

Take an egg and a little milk, pour in bowl, mix up real good. Dip crappie in mixture then roll in the cornflake crumbs. Drop in oil until it's nice and brown.

It's a little sweeter than plain corn meal.

Also good for Walleye.

I prefer a spicy mix for catfish or just plain corn meal. But this is ok on cats too.

I would imagine, if you can't find the crumbs, crushing up a box of regular corn flakes would be the same if you ground them up fine enough.

20. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks everyone for your responces they sound great. If I can catch some crappie at a the new lake I am going to this weekend I will try one of these recipies.

:0a31: