Cooking catfish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by troyedm, Jan 17, 2007.

1. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    anyone got any good fish breading recipes? seems like mine always washes of while i am cooking the fish. yea, we got a good deep fryer, keeps the oil at 370 deg no problem.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Troy, if you are using a dry covering such as flour and corn meal, just have your fish slightly moist when dredging it. If you are using some type of a batter make sure that the fish is dry. I use the flour and corn meal half and half, stays on well for me. I don't like the way batter puffs up,but they say there is a cure for that too. lol

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Troy,
    My wife uses Andys Yellow fish meal. We like it fine. Has some instructions on the bag. Good Luck.
    Olddriller

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Troy, have you checked that oil temperature with a separate thermometer? Does the oil cook other types of fried food normally? How much catfish are you putting in at one time? If you try to fry too big of a batch, the fish itself will bring the temperature of the oil down. Are you letting the fish fry for a few moments before messing with it (i.e. moving it around, turning it over)?

I never have a problem with this....I use dry breader, usually House Autry Seafood Breader. First I put the raw fish out on a plate and blot it with paper towels. Let it sit out for thirty minutes to an hour (no longer). It will get a little sticky/tacky, thus helping the breader stay on better. I like double dippin' mine in the breader, so after the first coat, I let it stand a few minutes, then shake it again. I normally use a brown paper bag for the shaking process.

We have a sponsor here on the BOC, Texas Select Seasonings. I've heard they make a wonderful fish breader, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. You may want to check into that.

If I'm doing a cornmeal/flour type breading, I just fry the fish in a big old cast iron skillet and forget about the deep fryer.

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    try rubbin each piece with mustard before rollin in the corn meal

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use either prepared cornbread mix or a 50-50 mix of cornmeal/flour i also let the damp pieces stay in the mix till im ready to fry ie,i bread a batch while one is cooking and leave it till i am done with the batch thats in the fryer

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    This is the way I have always done it.
    Thanks Jack!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i make my own now too. i mix about one part flour two two parts corn meal and add tss rattlesnake dust or jal garlic salt. adds great flavor. try using some reg garlic salt and add some salt and pepper. a seasoned breading adds a lot of flavor.

you can add a shake of bread crumbs too. makes the texture a bit rougher. and like most said. get oil hot and let fish dry a bit. i put em on a paper towel before breading them. and dont mess with the fish for 3-4 min to let the breading crips a bit.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About dipping them in pancake batter. Mix it all up like you were gonna make pancakes and instead use it to batter the fish?:confused2:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I bread mine by first dredging in flour then eggwash & then the breading. I've never had a problem with it before.

11. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    1/4 cup flour
    3/4 cup corn meal
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cheyenne pepper
    1 tsp black pepper

2-3 filets at a time @ 350 for 6 min. Don't forget to allow time for your oil temp to recover between batches.

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    this is one of my favorite ways to fry catfish. I do not make the batter though. I use the pancake/waffle mix by itself in a one gallon ziploc style baggie, then add salt, pepper and garlic to the mix....throw a few fillets in the bag and shake vigorously until fillets are well coated...next they go straight into a hot pan of oil....fried until dark brown. works the same in a deep fryer, i just usually use a skillet instead.

EDIT: I add fish to the mix only when i plan to fry them immediately. If your doing several 'batches', wait to 'batter' the next round until just before ya throw them in the oil.

They have a sweet taste from the pancake/waffle mix.....i love em! yum.

i have made fillets this way for family members and they did not like the sweet taste, they preferred the corn bread/flour taste..to each their own, i like it both ways.

cyas
    robert

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i prefer corn meal and lemon pepper , i cut all my fellets into 1/4"x2" peices rinse in cold water strain then drop them in a gallon ziploc with the corn meal and shake then deep fry 15 peices at a time as it comes up it goes on a plate the wife's first then the youngest boy then the oldest then i finally get mine , a quart of fish makes roughly 60 bite size peices that are best served hot

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    MM,MM.Making me hungry!!! :lol:

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I tried that once with striped bass, I didn't like it-pancakes and fish just wasn't a good combo. I ussually use seasoned corn meal or make a beer batter.

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yellow Corn meal Salt Pepper Cover fish in mustard then roll in meal mix If the fish has been in the freezer a while use butter milk in stead of mustard

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't have any trouble with my cornmeal/flour mixture coming off while cooking, so I can't offer any help with that.
    But, here's a good, easy batter recipe. Mix Bisquick and beer (or club soda) to the desired consistency; thin batter for a thinner crust, or thick batter for a thicker crust. Dredge the fillets in flour, then drop into the batter. Use a BBQ fork to retreive the fillets from the batter and drop them into the hot grease.

18. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    When I fry fish I always use egg batter before you put on the breading, just break 2-3 eggs ,beat , thin with a liittle beer , soak and drain fish ,add your seasonings ,dip in the bread crumbs,corn meal, whatever your using , fry. We mostly use peanut oil ,has a higher smoke point .Up north all the clubs V.F.W. , Lions, Eagles, ect, have smelt frys in the spring when they are running, for fund raisers. They use the reciepe above + they add pancake mix to the eggs . Helped fry for many years .Some times we would go thru 300 -400 lbs of smelt . Folks just loved um, sold a lot of beer to !

19. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Try not letting the fish touch while cooking, I find it works much better with less fish in the fryer Good Luck
    Sharon

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    speaking of that looky what i had last night.

now the lil pieces my son likes. boneless chunks. these i fried with the mixture i explained on my first post.

another idea for ya like ya don't have enough to pick from already,lol, this one is for whole fryers. these can be a tad more difficult cause there slick. i fried these with a proven method. dip into a wet beer batter (available at any store)first then into your dry mix and into hot oil. do it quickly.

YUMM!!!! had with river rat (tater wedges) bread butter and sweet corn.:big_smile_2: