Cooking catfish! Bake, smoke or fry?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Buddrice, May 30, 2006.

1. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I usually will put my fillets in a mixture of egg and milk and then corn meal them fry them.I like to use the Louisiana pre mix meal.The egg and mik combo seems to help the meal stay on better.How do you like to cook your fish?
    :big_smile:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :smile2: WE FIX OURS IN A FISH COOKER . WE USE THAT (ANDYS FISH BATTER) PUT IN IN A BAG WITH FISH SHAKE BAG STICKS TO FISH REAL GOOD. SOME REALLY GOOD STUFF AND GREAT FLAVER. GET GREASE GOOD AND HOT PUT FISH IN AND WHEN THEY FLOOT THIER DONE.

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    99% of the time i smear the filets with mustard, put em in a brown paper sack with corn meal n salt then shake to coat, then deep fry in 375-400 degree oil. every once in a while ill put some filets or whole fish on the grill with a lil salt pepper butter n lemon juice.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Try some of that TSS "Spicy Cajun Fish Fry". Man that stuff is great. Milk, Eggs, and coat. Deep fry, yummmmmmy.

5. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i normaly fry mine, home made batter, with cajun seasoning in it, then just fry like you normaly would :big_smile:

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I do the same but without the bag. I don't remember who told me about putting mustard on the fish, but it does add a very nice flavor to the fish.

7. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL

Do you have a hard time keeping the fish in one piece on the grill? I've always deep fried fish, but wanna try some new things.

8. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Since we're on the topic, is there a place on this board with recipe postings? I don't think I've ever seen a specific place just for them.

9. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    I have some of those fish baskets for the grill, ya can get em just about anywhere including wally world and k-market (i've been hangin round the 4 year old too long) as well as your favorite sporting goods shop. use em to grill fish, there not that expensive (i think i paid like 4 or 5 bucks each, but that was a while ago so...)

I will however have to try the mustard sauce on the eaters the boy caught the other day, sounds delish.

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'm gonna cheat now and go buy some catfish,i knew looking at this thread would be a bad idea

11. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    FRIED CATFISH BABY! baking tastes like crap cuz theirs no crispy taste to it just very soggy! :crazy: and no one likes soggy. i just fry mine in an oil turkey cooker with peanut oil cuz you can keep usin the same oil for quiet a long period of time.

12. Equal parts plain cornmeal and flour. Salt and lemon pepper, dash or two or three cayenne, dill weed. Roll and deep fry.
    Serve with my homemade onion rings (vidalias), cole slaw, baked beans, and hush puppies. Wash it down with a glass of iced tea and eat until they stick a fork in you. LOL
    As for baked try Catfish Allison. It is first poached then placed under the broiler with a mayo and parmesan sauce. MMM good. I'll try to locate the recipe for y'all.
    I really need to try the grill as I like to try new things but have a habit of always going back to old favorites.

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've had catfish a number ways. As far as I am concerned though, the only way to go is fried. Bout the only fish that I like to eat other than fried is Halibut.

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I tried one of my recipes that i have acquired for gills, crappies and such and it seemed to work really well...was a bit surprised to be honest.

I take fillets....place them on a bakin sheet coated with aluminum foil and the edges folded up to keep the juices in. Pour/drizzle lemon juice over the fillets and let soak for 5-10 minutes..turn fillets over and add a bit more lemon juice over the fillets for another 5-10 minutes. Melt some butter and pour it over the fillets so that they are 'coated'. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic...whatever you like and then bake at 350 degrees for 15-30 minutes depending on fillet thickness. YUM!

cyas
    rc

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like it fried. Corn meal with a touch of flour. No dipping in egg mix. Just rinse off, shake in bag and deep fry up with all the fixing. Salt after cooked, maybe some lemon juice , Tabasco sauce, Jal peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes, pickled okra , banana peppers, all the fixing and pig out. once in a blue moon I will spice up with a season mix in corn meal. I like it fried plain. Good dang eating stuff.

16. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Fried for me with fried potatoes! YUM YUM!

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Deep fryed corn meal flour and hot sause yummy

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like all these recipes, especially Baitfish's!
    Here's one more worth trying on the grill or open fire.
    Take the fillets or smaller cats and wrap them in foil along with a couple lemon wedges, cut up tomatoes, squash, onions, a table spoon of butter and whatever spices you like. Double fold the foil to seal it good and put on the grill about 4-5 minutes on each side. Open the foil pouch and dump it on a plate. Good to go! A whole meal in each pouch.

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Jim me and you would get along real well. LMAO

20. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I thought you said you like to taste the fish !!!LOL:lol: