Cooking Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mikeskywalker, May 1, 2006.

1. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Any good ways to cook carp just curious id like to try it sometime if it's not to much hassel to prepare

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    sure theres a great recipe my family used to useyou smoke it to whatever taste and flaver you wish and then bbq it like my family did its delicious but not much meat

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    My grandfather always says, "Carp are the kind of fish that you put in the oven on a wooden plank, and when it's done, you throw the fish away and eat the plank" lol. I guess he never enjoyed the taste of carp. :roll_eyes:

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the only way i would cook carp is if it made good flathead bait:lol: ....... just funning..........

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    HI skywalker. I live here in the midwest and there is a place in omaha neb. that is there main attraction. the way I cook it is to first skin it with a pair of plires or fish skinning plires. the carp have Y bones in them so you will need to score them before you bread and cook them.TO score the fish start at the top of the fish (backbone ) and take your knife and cut down between the rib bones deep almost all the way thru to the belly do this all the way down the fish on both sides. now cut the fish into about 3 to 4in. steaks and roll ln your favorite fish breading and deep fat fry till done. by scoring you cook up most of the small Y-bones its very good .I hope this helps.Bigcatman0816.

6. REED

REED New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi,

I have read that carp have a line of red meat which needs to be cut out to leave and eat only the white meat. Possibly our other posters can either confirm or deny.

Thanks,

Reed

No fear, No meaness, No envy.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yes, I have also read that you are to remove this meat. It is the meat containing and immediately surronding the carp's mud vein. I've that it tastes like mud and that it can be used as catfish bait.

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Friday night fish fry at the American Legion scored Carp. The only place on earth I've ever had carp you could eat on a bun. I tried to master the fillet process, the scoring procedure, no way. They told me to get the grease hotter so the bones would cook, like tuna. Not. Fun fish to catch, even "cold packing didn't work" give away. When my line starts making those 1/2 circles don't worry about that dip net.
    Don

9. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Reed,

It is not only the carp that has a line of red meat. Other fish have it has well. I cannot tell you what every fish is that has it. But, the catfish has it and the striper has it. I have cleaned, cooked and eaten both catfish and striper. And, they were always better once you had cut out the red streak.

Also, on many of the larger fish (referring to catfish and striper) there is some yellowish looking meat on the top side of the fish (around the back bone). I found that cutting this out also improved the taste of the fish. In other words, removing both the red streak and the yellowish meat, significantly reduced or completely eliminated the very strong "fishy" taste that many people find to be repugnant.

10. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for that advice. I'll remember that next time I keep a few catfish!!!:smile2:

11. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Skin the carp like you do a catfish. It is easier if you make cuts for the nippers to grab and also cut along the top and bottom.

Trim off the lateral sensor(called Mud vein, blood vein or red meat) and fillet the fish. Cut it into large chunks and pressure cook it. The pressure cooking allows you to eat the "Y" bones.

Use the meat to make "Salmon" paddies. Very good and a lot cheaper than salmon.

When I was young, Mom used to "can" carp and buffalo in quart jars. We ate them through out the winter.

Robert

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have eaten Carp once, but would do it again, cooked correctly is very good and NO bones. A friend caught one and cut off a filet, making sure not to go all the way to the tail, flipped it over and peeled the meat right off of the skin, (wish I could do that as good), then he scored it about every inch turned it over and scored it inbetween the scores from the first side, then he seasoned it with a little beer, lemon pepper, put it in a roaster pan with a little grease, in oven for 25 minutes at 350, it was great. I might have to try a little different seasoning.