cooking blue gill

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by river cat, Jun 9, 2008.

1. river cat

river cat New Member

State:
    Yukon Ok
    My 1st. grandson is just old enough to start fishing for perch and bue gill. He wants to keep and eat all he gets. Many are too small to fillet and I am worred about bones for him when eating small fish. Years ago I read an artical about cutting the skin along the back of small perch then dopping them in boiling water for a time. Then the meat will pull away from the back bone and you could remome it with a fork and fry it as normal. But I don't remember how long to leave them in the boiling water. If an one knows about this I would Appricate the info. Thanks River cat

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, I'd just scale it, remove the head, tail, & guts, then fry it whole, being sure not to over cook it, which is very easy to do. Then take a fork and flake the meat off the bones into a plate for your grandson.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use to cook them as a kid myself. I gut and scaled them. Salt and pepper the inside and dredge in flour and pan fry in just a little oil, make sure its not to hot. The skin is also pretty good on panfish. Hope this helps.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i agree with jerry and ozz. cook em whole and flake off meat with fork. me and my boys went to the park today. my youngest 15 months got his first gill. was big as his head,lol. we dropped it back in on accident. got 13 to fry up out of 20. 7 were tiny. i cook them whole and flake off meat. give em some bread and butter. in case of a bone. and tell them to chew good and be careful.:wink:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fillet the bigger ones ,but the small ones 5-7 inches ,I cut off the head ,scale ,gut and dredge in a 50-50 mix of flour and cornmeal,seasoned with my fav deasonings. fry till they float in a fry daddy. for the lil guy I'd flake the meat off ,I like the crisp fins mmm

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

i think of them as a meat potato chip. the tail is great.:wink:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Them panfish are tasty, I dont care how ya cook them.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Homer, I've never heard of this boiling water method. Sorry I can't be of help with that.

Not sure how old your grandson is, but I've been eating small non-filleted panfish as long as I can remember. I'm sure when I was really l'il it was flaked off for me as the fellas have mentioned. Even then, and after I started doing that for myself, Grandaddy always stressed that along with chewing slowly and carefully, you should run your tongue all around your mouth to check for stray bones. Heck, I still find myself doing that to this day. :wink: