Converting from tiller to console steering???

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by jacobwyn, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jacobwyn

jacobwyn New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Ok I have a 1995 Nissan 25hp 2 stroke motor that is a tiller steer. I want to convert it over to a console steer. My question is what all is needed for this conversion? I've done some research and know that i'll need control cables and control box, but after that things get kind of sketchy. Any comments and tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. gabby

gabby New Member

State:
    Texas
    forget it, a good freind of mine told me 60% of repairs are to cables,throttle, and other console problems. Gabby

3. jacobwyn

jacobwyn New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well thanks alot for the input, but I still want to do it.

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    bobpaul knows motors so maybe he will stop in and help. i think you are just going to need a rod going from your steering controll (if its a shaft and not cables) to a plate coming off your outboard. i think if you have a torch set and some steel you can do it easily in your garage. if it is 2 cables for steering im not sure what is involved, maybe some pulleys and a plate on your motor. im sure they sell kits if you want to pay.

5. I have done this with several motors on an old boat of mine. Got used steering console/cable and cotrol/cables off the internet and set it up. Being mechanically inclined, it is no big deal, if you are not, then $$$$$$$.

6. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have been thinking about doing the same thing on a 25 hp Johnson. The problem I'm having is my motor is not an electric start. I took the boat and motor to an outboard mechanic and was advised the cost would be prohibitive. I wanted to add sticks steering and a control box. I have about decided to give up the project.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've done a converssion from pull start to electric start and it is very expensive in parts alone.
    1 New stator to include a coil that recharges the battery, or just use a battery charger.
    2 rectifier regulator to change the ac current from the stator to dc voltage to charge the battery, or just use a battery charger
    3 A new flywheel, not optional.
    4 Starter mount and starter, expensive and not optional.
    5 starter button or key switch.
    6 labor cost of a few hours, depending on the condition of the engine, corrosion issues with what I deal with/saltwater.
    7 Will the lower cowl accept control cables?
    8 Nissan 2 stroke parts are getting harder to come by

You'll find that you've got a serious PITA project. It's much easier to start out with an engine already set up for a control box and electric start.

Just yesterday I repaired a 25 evinrude electric start that was given to this customer. He had a 30 hp pull start evinrude that we robbed parts off of. Hardware, power pack, and the 30 hp carb, and the kill switch. He now has a great running 25 with 30 hp. If the sarter were to go bad on this new engine, it would be a breeze to make it a pull start, by robbing the parts off the 30, to include the hood with the pull handle opening.

8. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    The easest way would be jut to install steering and tthottle controls ,you will have to go back and pull start your motor then run it with the shifter and thottle controls

9. jacobwyn

jacobwyn New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It's an electric start motor so I don't have to worry about that.

10. It's really not a big deal if ya can find some used stuff, it is affordable. I was very happy doing it to mine, and had the mechanical ability to make it work, and it was a pull start 9.9 merc. You can do it!

11. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Growing up we fished out of a boat that my dad installed stick steer on. It was pretty simple: a generic control box with two levers and ignition switch. Each lever was a basic direct link to the shift lever and the throttle cable. Steering was controlled by an aluminum rod mounted to the top of a big pulley. The pulley either pulled or pushed a single cable that controlled the direction of the motor.

It has been several years since I looked at one, but a few of the local boat dealers here had some stick steering kits that could be installed with very little modification. The key to this was having a motor that could be fitted with one of these kits. I really don't know what's available now, but I bet you can study up on it and fit your rig with some type of remote steering.

Good luck.