converting from pull start to electric start

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BIG_D, Oct 20, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i have a 1974 6 hp evinrude that is pull start can it be converted to electric start

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    , Yes but it is costly. Most times you have to change out the fly wheel and add the starter and solenoid and ing. plus wiring it.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Willard i dont think i would have to change fly wheel it has the teeth the starter rope pushes a gear up like the electric starter does

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think but am not sure but that fly wheel is about a quarter inch to small. It may have the starter ring on it some in that year did and some didn't.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It shouldn't be hard to start a 6hp. Problems?

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    its not hard to start was just pondering rather to convert it or not

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Naw no problems, He is just getting lazy in his older years.:smile2:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol Willard you hit the nail right on the head but you wasent supose to tell lol...( how are the eyes doing now Willard...))

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I've been wondering the same thing about my 8hp mercury. It has teeth on the flywheel but it would be nice to have electric start so my wife could run it when she is with me. The way I set up the boat I bought this summer the trolling motor is next to the merc so she could back the boat off the trailer and run it to the dock while I park the car. She has yet to drive the boat or back a boat trailer or park a car with a boat trailer. My mercury usually starts and runs great except when that cheap a$$ plastic carb float got a hole in it and I messed up the float level.

10. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    kinda off subject,,, when I was a kid my dad bought our first boat and it had a 1968 100 hp mercury I 6 cyl with a PULL rope start ,, electric start for back up:crazy: