Converting from foot operated to hand operated trolling motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigblaze, Mar 26, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    i know it's not an outboard but I don't know where else to post the question.

I have a new motor guide foot operated trolling motor (bow mount)

Is there a way of converting the foot control to a Hand control style?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would like to know this as well! i have a min-kota at-40 that i would like to convert to a long handle if possible.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    same boat here i have a minnkota 40 lb foot control up front that i want to leave that way but i got a 30 lb motor guide foot controlled i want to make tiller for the rear.
    cant wait to hear good news on this . hopeing hopeing;)

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I wish I had never bought my foot-controled motorguide. I hate it. Trying to balance yourself on one foot while somebody else is moving around isn't good.I had to break out my casting chair with one guy cause he almost flipped me overboard.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can modify anything but in this case it would depend on where the rheostat or electronic speed control was located presently as to how you would have to do it.
    If the control is in the foot control itself you would probally have to attach it to the boat somewhere and just install some type of handle to manually steer the motor.
    If the control is located on top of the shaft you'll have to devise a means to control it along with a handle for steering.

If it were me I would sell what I had and buy what I wanted. Generally hand steer is cheaper then foot control.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, I think the best way to modify them puppies is to find an aspiring bass fisherman and make a deal with him. Then buy what you want...you will both be happy...him talking about that crazy catfishing guy, you talking about the dumb bass fisherman. lol

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Swap em out for what you want. Man, what a great idea.

Guys, converting or working on trolling motors is an absolute pain in the a$$.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok then...who wants to trade?:)

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    yea i'd love to trade, mine is only 3mos.old (MotorGuide FW54). I hate mine, I bought the boat new and the salesman stated for my type of boat I should use a hand controled but I said no, I want a foot operated motor. boy was i WRONG!!! that was one time I wished I listened to a salesman.

I'm going to contacted MotorGuide and see what they say, heck it is stll under warranty....

I'll post my resuts...meanwhile I will try to find a buyer for mine...

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I contacted MotorGuide and much to my dismay there is no adapter available from MotorGuide. They advised me to contact a local MotorGuide service shop. The repairman told me it was possible to do but it would be cost more than a buying a new one....bummer!!!!

I guess I am going to start trying to find a buyer for mine...that should be alot of fun :rolleyes:

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's what I always heard. You guys shouldn't have any trouble selling your foot controlled motors. They're generally more expensive. So you should come out ahead.