Converting a prop to a jet?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mtrimble, Mar 1, 2007.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Have any of you all converted a prop setup to an outboar jet setup?

If so, I have a few questions.

How much do these kits usually cost?

Where can I find a jet kit for a Honda outboard?

I hear the labor is about two hours for such a conversion. Does that sound about right?

I have a 25 honda and I hear you lose about 30% horsepower with a jet. That would give me a about 17.6 horses. Would that be enough to quickly get a 14-16ft flatbottom grizzly up on a plane?

Would an out board jet be easy to control with a tiller handle?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The cost is going to be around 1,500 for the jet unit.

Any honda dealer can order you one I would say.

It does take around 3 hours to move them around.

It would make your 25hp a 15hp as far as getting on plane that would have to do with the weight you have in the boat.

Can help with how it would handle I have run a lot of jets now but none by a tiller handle

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Tim is spot on. The jet can also be ordered from outboat jet in San Leandro CA. They are the only company I know of that manufactures them. If you put 4 keywords into a search you will find their number and they are very friendly and helpful.

As far as power, I had a 40/30 on my 1654 and it pushed it. I would guess that a 25/15 would work on a 14, but a 16 would probably not be effective at all. Just my humble opinion.

4. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Remember you are not only going to have to install the pump lower unit on your motor, but you are also going to have to raise your motor to the proper height.
    This will involve modifying your transom to raise the motor or installing a jackplate.
    Also remember a jet is less efficient on fuel and weight is your biggest enemy.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    For reasons I don't fully understand, to get the best performance out of a jet, you must concentrate the weight of cargo/people further forward than you would with a prop.

Boats designed for jets have the helm well forward (ex: Lowe Roughnecks), which explains why you don't see many tiller jets.

That said, I own one, and it works just fine.